+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit for spouse

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Hi,
My partner has open work permit. I am convention refugee. But on his work permit it says:

Remarks/Observations :
THIS DOCUMENT DOES NOT CONFER TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS

Do you guys have any idea what does it mean? Mine says maintained… But his work permit like this. We also applied for trv. Waiting for decision. My partner is not refugee btw.

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
My partner has open work permit. I am convention refugee. But on his work permit it says:

Remarks/Observations :
THIS DOCUMENT DOES NOT CONFER TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS

Do you guys have any idea what does it mean? Mine says maintained… But his work permit like this. We also applied for trv. Waiting for decision. My partner is not refugee btw.

Thank you.
He only has the WP due to your protected person status. In his case the WP was granted to allow him to work so that your family does not end up on welfare but it doesn’t give him any type of status in Canada similar to when you claimed asylum and were granted a WP but if you lost your hearing you could have lost your WP and been removed. The WP would not allow his to qualify for other immigration like express entry programs for example based on his WP and work while on the WP.

Reactions: Canadian_rainbow

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
He only has the WP due to your protected person status. In his case the WP was granted to allow him to work so that your family does not end up on welfare but it doesn’t give him any type of status in Canada similar to when you claimed asylum and were granted a WP but if you lost your hearing you could have lost your WP and been removed. The WP would not allow his to qualify for other immigration like express entry programs for example based on his WP and work while on the WP.
Thank you very much all the information. So he applied for trv. Do you think is there going to be problem for the trv application because of this remark?
If not, when he get his trv he can come back to Canada with trv and work permit right? He needs to show trv and work permit at the immigration.

Thank you!