+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit for my spouse while I am on a study permit in Canada?

roy100

Mar 10, 2009
Hi guys,

I would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this:

I am planning to go for my Study permit interview next month with my wife (who will be a dependent) to the Canadian consulate. I have admission for a 2 yr full-time Masters program. I also have sufficient funds to cover tuition, and living expenses (for my wife and I). during the course of my study.

It is my understanding that my wife will be eligible for an open-work permit (which will allow her to work in Canada during the course of my studies) since I will be on a 2 yr study permit (and she is my spouse).

What I cannot understand is whether:

1) She has to apply for this open-work permit AFTER entering Canada. I went through the CIC website and there seems to be a form where one can change or extend their work permit after initial entering canada on temporary visa.

OR

2) Since my wife is eligible for an open-work permit, whether she can apply for this work permit when I submit my Study Permit application. Thus, in other words, whether she can have the Work Permit BEFORE entering Canada.

Thanks
Roy.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe she can also apply for a work permit at the border if she is visa exempt.

roy100

Mar 10, 2009
Thanks for the response.

We are both from a country (India) that require visas to enter Canada. However, I have found out that when I apply for the Study permit, I will be automatically issued a temporary visa in PP (assuming everything goes well), and I will be given a letter which I need to submit at the Port of Entry, who then would provide me a study permit.

But I am still confused regarding the Open work permit for my wife.

It seems that the safe bet is to apply for the OWP AFTER entering Canada. However, it would be more convenient, if we could get it when we attend our interview.

shosilie

Aug 27, 2008
My advice is for you to apply for your wife's OWP after you have entered Canada to brighten the chances of getting your study permit. Once you are able to secure the study permit, other things will fall in place in due course. I went through this myself...

Remember, you also have to convince the visa officer that you intend to go back to your country after study..

Good luck to you..

roy100

Mar 10, 2009
Thanks Leon and Shosilie for your advice.

Shosilie: how long did it take you to get the OWP (for you or your partner) after entering Canada? Was it a pretty straight forward process?