+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit During Pandemic

miraldhrafani

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
Hi Guys, Is there anyone who has applied for open work permit extension in March or April and got decision on there application

I applied for open work permit application on 2nd April 2020 (Paper Application) and its been almost 3 months that I have got any update on my application, I haven't even got Bio-metrics request letter, So I just want to know is this common for paper application? Have anyone got decision on their application during Pandemic, Coz I am totally relying on my implied status to complete my 1 year of Canadian work experience? Any help will be appreciated

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Guys, Is there anyone who has applied for open work permit extension in March or April and got decision on there application

I applied for open work permit application on 2nd April 2020 (Paper Application) and its been almost 3 months that I have got any update on my application, I haven't even got Bio-metrics request letter, So I just want to know is this common for paper application? Have anyone got decision on their application during Pandemic, Coz I am totally relying on my implied status to complete my 1 year of Canadian work experience? Any help will be appreciated
Yes - this is normal right now unfortunately. Everything is slower due to COVID-19.

As long as you qualified for the open work permit extension then I don't think you have anything to worry about and you will be able to count your work experience on implied status towards PR.

miraldhrafani

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
Yes - this is normal right now unfortunately. Everything is slower due to COVID-19.

As long as you qualified for the open work permit extension then I don't think you have anything to worry about and you will be able to count your work experience on implied status towards PR.
Thank-you Very much, I feel optimistic Now :)

miraldhrafani

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018

Can I safely assume that its gonna take atleast a month for them to make a decision

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can I safely assume that its gonna take atleast a month for them to make a decision
Yes - that's most likely the case.

To confirm, you qualify to apply for the extension - correct? Having implied status and being able to count this work towards CEC will only be possible if you qualify for the extension and if it's eventually approved.

miraldhrafani

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
Yes - that's most likely the case.

To confirm, you qualify to apply for the extension - correct? Having implied status and being able to count this work towards CEC will only be possible if you qualify for the extension and if it's eventually approved.
Yes I was planning to leave the country but due to COVID 19 my flight got cancelled and I have to stay, my PGWP expired on 5th April so I applied for extension on 2nd April and attached all the documents stating that why I cant leave the country, Now I want to utilize this opportunity to gain Canadian experience,

but processing time in CIC says 86 days, so as per that I should get the decision by the end of this month, but for gaining 1 year of experience I need to work till 20th July, that why I have been skeptical about it

Any thoughts?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes I was planning to leave the country but due to COVID 19 my flight got cancelled and I have to stay, my PGWP expired on 5th April so I applied for extension on 2nd April and attached all the documents stating that why I cant leave the country, Now I want to utilize this opportunity to gain Canadian experience,

but processing time in CIC says 86 days, so as per that I should get the decision by the end of this month, but for gaining 1 year of experience I need to work till 20th July, that why I have been skeptical about it

Any thoughts?
OK - that changes everything.

You don't actually qualify for an extension to your work permit. That means it will eventually be refused. Right now you have implied status. However once the extension is refused, you'll go out of status in Canada effective the expiry date of your PGWP (i.e. effective April 5th).

This means that any work experience you gain after April 5th cannot be counted towards PR. Once your extension is refused, all of the work experience you gained after the expiry of your PGWP will be classified as unauthorized work. You cannot rely on the work experience you gain during implied status to get 1 year of work experience in Canada.

miraldhrafani

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
OK - that changes everything.

You don't actually qualify for an extension to your work permit. That means it will eventually be refused. Right now you have implied status. However once the extension is refused, you'll go out of status in Canada effective the expiry date of your PGWP (i.e. effective April 5th).

This means that any work experience you gain after April 5th cannot be counted towards PR. Once your extension is refused, all of the work experience you gained after the expiry of your PGWP will be classified as unauthorized work. You cannot rely on the work experience you gain during implied status to get 1 year of work experience in Canada.
but my friend did the same thing he was short of 1 month so he applied for extension and gained the experience and then he applied for PR and he recently got the PR

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
but my friend did the same thing he was short of 1 month so he applied for extension and gained the experience and then he applied for PR and he recently got the PR
Then he got very lucky. Don't assume you will have the same luck. If IRCC follows their rules, you will not be able to count any of your work experience after April 5th towards PR. Maybe your friend got lucky because he only had one month of unautorized work. You will have three.

miraldhrafani

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
Then he got very lucky. Don't assume you will have the same luck. If IRCC follows their rules, you will not be able to count any of your work experience after April 5th towards PR. Maybe your friend got lucky because he only had one month of unautorized work. You will have three.
and What if I apply for PR under CEC before they make decision on my WP application and then I link my WP application with my PR application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
and What if I apply for PR under CEC before they make decision on my WP application and then I link my WP application with my PR application?
That won't work and isn't possible.

If you apply for PR under CEC, you will qualify for a bridging open work permit - NOT a work permit extension.

To qualify for a bridging open work permit, you must also still have a valid work permit. You no longer hold a valid work permit so a BOWP is not an option for you.

miraldhrafani

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
That won't work and isn't possible.

If you apply for PR under CEC, you will qualify for a bridging open work permit - NOT a work permit extension.

To qualify for a bridging open work permit, you must also still have a valid work permit. You no longer hold a valid work permit so a BOWP is not an option for you.
Okk I got your point but due to COVID19 I cant leave the country and CIC also said that temporary resident who cant leave the country may apply to extend their Status And thats what I did in that case as well my Implied status will be invalid?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okk I got your point but due to COVID19 I cant leave the country and CIC also said that temporary resident who cant leave the country may apply to extend their Status And thats what I did in that case as well my Implied status will be invalid?
This rule allows you to extend your status as a temporary visitor. It does not allow you to extend your work permit. The answer remains the same.