+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

open work permit and sponsorship application

F

Frank25

I would like to talk to somebody who have applied for an open work permit and permanent residency inland both at the same time at the same time. I have few question.

what do you recomend me to say when they ask for the reason why I want to change my conditions? I mean Im applying for PR too, so if you went trough that already please help me. I will really appreciate it.

Angus

Star Member
Sep 15, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When I sent mine in, I just said something like "I am applying for an open work permit so that I can stay in Canada with my husband. I have submitted an In-Canada Spousal application for PR and I need to stay in Canada for this application to remain valid"

F

Frank25

Ok, do you have any copy of your open work permit application form? I mean a copy of the application form that you sent them.

Pätkis

Oct 9, 2011
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
I have been wondering the same question, I will be sending my application in a few weeks from outside Canada. I find it really hard to find information about the open work permit in this case.. !

Does anyone know if I need to send the work permit application at the same time (like in the same envelope/parcel) than the sponsorship application? I think I read somewhere that I need to send it either before or at the same time. Any idea how long processing the work permit would usually take?

Thanks! :)

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
The open work permit should be submitted TOGETHER with the initial application package. Any later application may not be attached to the PR application so CIC does not recommend to do so. If it is not submitted at the same time you need to wait until the 1st stage approval and apply after you get it. If it is sent together and you are granted first stage approval CIC issues the OWP at the same time. If you apply after 1st stage it is around 30 business day or it was earlier this year.
About how to fill the OWP form: as the reason state that you submitted an inland spousal sponsorship and you are applying to remain in Canada with your spouse and keep yourself in valid status, also help your finances by working.
Write on the top of the form: Open work permit- not to be processed until 1st stage approval. Don`t forget to pay the 150$ fee as it is a separate fee.
I do not have any copy of my OWP application because I did not apply for one myself, I extended my already existing work permit during waiting for the approval and I was granted 1st and 2nd stage together, so I did not need the OWP.

Pätkis

Oct 9, 2011
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
Thanks Ditta!

Although, I'm not applying from within Canada, we are both in sunny Australia now. However, we are planning to return to Canada quite soon soon after sending the application.

So in my case, I'd just pay the $150 and include the application for work permit made outside Canada with my sponsorship application? + Add 'Open work permit, not to be processed until 1st stage approval' on top of the form?

Sounds easier than I expected! :) How long does the first stage approval generally take then..?

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
Open work permit is only available if you apply inland. You didn`t specify that you apply outland. In this case you cannot submit an OWP, you must wait until you are granted permanent residence to be able to work. The rules are different for outland and inland process. I assume you apply through Sydney and it is a fast visa office, you might get your PR in a few month and will be able to land before an inland application gets to first stage processing which is about 9 month.
If you wish to return to Canada before you are granted PR, you must come as a visitor. Keep in mind you cannot `move` to Canada before you become a PR, immigration has to be satisfied that you don`t intend to stay permanently.

Pätkis

Oct 9, 2011
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
Oh crap, I got my hopes up!

Thanks for clearing that up anyway. One more question though, regarding the visa offices. I was under the impression that I have to send mine to the Mississauga office as it deals with out of the country applications..?

F

Frank25

Thank you, it,s been very helpful, but I don't understand 1 thing. why should I Write on the top of the form: Open work permit- not to be processed until 1st stage approval?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Pätkis said:
Oh crap, I got my hopes up!

Thanks for clearing that up anyway. One more question though, regarding the visa offices. I was under the impression that I have to send mine to the Mississauga office as it deals with out of the country applications..?
Yes - send everything to Mississauga.

Pätkis

Oct 9, 2011
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
Thank you Scylla! :)

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
Frank25 said:
Thank you, it,s been very helpful, but I don't understand 1 thing. why should I Write on the top of the form: Open work permit- not to be processed until 1st stage approval?
If they try to process it before 1st stage approval it will be denied....once you get 1st stage approval and they process it, it will be approved....thats why you have to write it on the top....

Pätkis

Oct 9, 2011
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
^ And any idea how long the 1st stage takes? Like are we talking about 2 months, 10 months...? I'm considering an inland application after all, as it seems we'd be going to Canada right after sending our application..so might do it inland anyway.

Angus

Star Member
Sep 15, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Inland is currently taking 10-11months for 1st stage (AIP) approval.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Pätkis said:
^ And any idea how long the 1st stage takes? Like are we talking about 2 months, 10 months...? I'm considering an inland application after all, as it seems we'd be going to Canada right after sending our application..so might do it inland anyway.
Will you be applying through the Sydney office?
First stage approval is currently taking around 69 days, 2nd stage for Sydney is 7 months. But most would be approved before 7 months. Inland first stage takes about 10-11 months then it can be another 9 months for 2nd stage. Definately go with Outland.
The OWP is only issued after 1st stage approval inland anyway and so you're likely to have the whole thing completed outland before then.
Good luck.