+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit and Employment Offer Express Entry

atefbouss

Jun 26, 2023
Hi please this is my situation:
I am on closed work permit with a second employer for now 5 months and I'll apply soon for an Open work permit because the company is in a bad financial situation and the employer will give me a letter for this.
I have 18 month experience with an old employer (first one) so when filling express entry profile and while holding an Open Work permit, can answer "YES" to the question "Does X have worked for the employer in her current work permit for at least 1 year..." so I'll get point for my old employer (18 months) .
Because if I say No I'll not get points for employment offer.
My work permit is french mobility and LMIA exempt.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi please this is my situation:
I am on closed work permit with a second employer for now 5 months and I'll apply soon for an Open work permit because the company is in a bad financial situation and the employer will give me a letter for this.
I have 18 month experience with an old employer (first one) so when filling express entry profile and while holding an Open Work permit, can answer "YES" to the question "Does X have worked for the employer in her current work permit for at least 1 year..." so I'll get point for my old employer (18 months) .
Because if I say No I'll not get points for employment offer.
My work permit is french mobility and LMIA exempt.
On what basis are you applying for the open work permit? This is not clear. A letter from your employer does not allow you to apply for an open work permit.

To answer your question about Express Entry, you have to answer "no" to the question about an employment offer in your Express Entry profile if you hold an open work permit and your employer is not providing you with an LMIA.

atefbouss

Jun 26, 2023
On what basis are you applying for the open work permit? This is not clear. A letter from your employer does not allow you to apply for an open work permit.

To answer your question about Express Entry, you have to answer "no" to the question about an employment offer in your Express Entry profile if you hold an open work permit and your employer is not providing you with an LMIA.
Yes I will apply for an open work permit because I'll stop working with my current employer by the end of March. The employer cannot more continue paying me.
I didn't applied yet and I am asking about the situation of my express entry profile with an open work permit.
Just to know I am discussing, there is possibility that I return working with my old employer with a new closed work permit. It's good for me to apply for a new closed work permit with my old employer which I worked with him before for 18 months?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes I will apply for an open work permit because I'll stop working with my current employer by the end of March. The employer cannot more continue paying me.
I didn't applied yet and I am asking about the situation of my express entry profile with an open work permit.
Just to know I am discussing, there is possibility that I return working with my old employer with a new closed work permit. It's good for me to apply for a new closed work permit with my old employer which I worked with him before for 18 months?
It's still not clear on what basis you are applying for an open work permit. The fact your employer cannot continue paying you unfortunately does not qualify you for an open work permit. Please look into the open work permit requirements carefully before you apply.

If you hold an open work permit then you cannot claim points for having a job offer in your Express Entry profile unless your employer obtains an approved LMIA.

atefbouss

Jun 26, 2023
It's still not clear on what basis you are applying for an open work permit. The fact your employer cannot continue paying you unfortunately does not qualify you for an open work permit. Please look into the open work permit requirements carefully before you apply.

If you hold an open work permit then you cannot claim points for having a job offer in your Express Entry profile unless your employer obtains an approved LMIA.
Thank things are clear now but my work permit is LMIA exempt. Last 2 questions please:
1/ If I apply for a closed work permit with my old employer can claim points for my old 14 months old experience (September 2022 to November 2023).
2/ Can my new closed work permit application will be accepted if I show a letter from my current employer that he cannot pay me and that's the reason I am applying for a new closed work permit?
Thanks