+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Canadian bank account before arriving in Canada

bobbysocks888

Oct 9, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it possible to open a Canadian bank account before arriving in Canada? I'm based in the UK. If it can be done, which banks offer this facility.

ldn123

Nov 3, 2013
I don't think is possible. The banks will ask you to provide proof of address and perm residency card or landing docs.

In regards to hsbc I don't thinkthis route is possible. Even if it was there aren't many hsbc banks in canada. You would struggle to find hsbc atm.

My advise is to open an account with TD Bank when you arrive. What ever you do don't go with bmo bank..they're customer service is crazy!

Btw, why would yu want to open an account before landing?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ldn123 said:
I don't think is possible. The banks will ask you to provide proof of address and perm residency card or landing docs.

In regards to hsbc I don't thinkthis route is possible. Even if it was there aren't many hsbc banks in canada. You would struggle to find hsbc atm.

My advise is to open an account with TD Bank when you arrive. What ever you do don't go with bmo bank..they're customer service is crazy!

From personal experience, it is possible. People might want to open an account before landing because they want to transfer funds to Canada from another country. There are lots of hsbc branch at least in metro Vancouver in Canada. There is no struggle in finding atms.

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
bobbysocks888 said:
Is it possible to open a Canadian bank account before arriving in Canada? I'm based in the UK. If it can be done, which banks offer this facility.
It is possible.
There are Scotia bank branches/ partnered banks across globe.
I know Kotak mahindra Bank in India is in partnership with Soctia Bank and one can open an account from India.

You can call up customer service from Soctia Bank and check if its possible to open account from UK...

bobbysocks888

Oct 9, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the advice regarding TD Bank.

As for why I want to open an account.... kindly, mind your own business.

ldn123 said:

bobbysocks888

Oct 9, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you.

sharat_joshi77 said:
It is possible.
I know Kotak mahindra Bank in India is in partnership with Soctia Bank and one can open an account from India.

You can call up customer service from Soctia Bank and check if its possible to open account from UK...

bobbysocks888

Oct 9, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you.

steaky said:
From personal experience, it is possible. People might want to open an account before landing because they want to transfer funds to Canada from another country. There are lots of hsbc branch at least in metro Vancouver in Canada. There is no struggle in finding atms.

hassankm

Nov 11, 2015
Erbil - Iraq
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
07-08-2020
AOR Received.
14-08-2020
Med's Done....
28-09-2020
Hello.. did anyone manage to open a bank account before landing? i tried to contact scotia bank, the person said that i have to be canada..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

no HSBC here.. or you mean that i can contact HSBC in canada, even if there's no HSBC in my country?
1. From the HSBC website, you need a local HSBC office to open an international, so it would appear that you are out of luck with them.

NZ_ozzie

Sep 4, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
10-11-2018
Doc's Request.
11-12-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Done....
11-12-2018
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2019
Has anyone tried Citi bank in their home country ?

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
It is possible.

This is wrong statement. Scotia bank is not partner with any bank outside Canada. They are not even partners with Bank of America in US. You can use BOFA debit card to withdraw money from Scotia bank with no ATM charge, that's about it. I have personally called Scotia bank and BOFA regarding Auto loan transfer and I was told they are not partners but they have an mutual understanding regarding ATM charges.