+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario College Graduate certificate program. (post-grad)?? is hell of confusion

ASHRAF SOATHIIYA

May 27, 2012
I have recently graduated from 1 year ontario college graduate certificate program from centennial college doing INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MANAGEMENT. When i enrolled in this program me and many in my class were said by the agent from India (edwise international) that it was a postgrad diploma program when it is actually not.
I am looking for provincial nominee program in International graduate category for 3 provinces: Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia.
The confusion and the problem:
Alberta: When i contacted Alberta immigration to ask whether i am eligible with my education requirement they said you have to do a course which is a master level course....... NOW my doubt is that is the postgrad course a master level course? because one thing i know for sure that i get credits if i enroll in a masters program even though i dont want to- i can say this because according to centennial college credits can be transferred from a program to another if its is a same level of study-------- please help me with this confusion..

British Columbia: The British Columbia immigration says you have to do degree/diploma to be eligible to nominate.

Also would like to ask whether an international student working on postgrad workpermit is termed as a temporary foreign worker??? ------ for manitoba pnp if nothing else work for me this is the last option i guess.

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS CONFUSION AS I HAVE ALREADY WASTED A MONTH IN DECIDING MY FUTURE PNP OTIONS.......

I WOULD APPRECIATE REPLIES IN DETAIL FOR EACH PROBLEM
THANKS IN ADVANCE
ASHRAF SORATHIYA
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT

preethir07

May 30, 2012
Hi ASHRAF

Me and my friend are planning to take the same course in September. Can you please tell me what is wrong coz I did not get your problem clearly.

can you please share your mail id.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'll help with one question.

1. No - a post-graduate course is not equivalent to a masters.

ASHRAF SOATHIIYA

May 27, 2012
to preeti ........... the course is 1 year post graduate certificate course and not a diploma course a diploma is usually 2 yr program with 4 sems. and the one i did was 1 yr(8 months) 2 sem course. the problem is that 1 year post grad certificate course doesnt give you much options of immigration in Canada because you eventually get 1 yr work permit.
The only place that we are valued is ONTARIO. The problem with ontario is that it has quota of only 1000/yr nominations. which makes it tough for us and it then depends on luck..... ???

cybervjs

Star Member
Sep 11, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Ashraf,
I hope as you already in Canada for more than a year so u know exactly what you want, i don't know why u only looking for these three Province but i believe u must have ur own reasons any how, look if you want to get settled after you completion of your studies, i believe Sask and Quebec have better programs to offer you but u have to do your reasearch first. just don't headon to that as i said so, and before enrolling into any program please seek some advice from reputiable consultant or immigration lawyers here in Canada, and please be focused and decide what do you want either PR, Work Permit, Good Job, or just want to spent some time here in Canada and act accordingly, Sorry if anything bother you in my reply, really want to open up ur mind.

Rgds,
Danish

nano24482

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/02/2010
Doc's Request.
20/04/2010
AOR Received.
27/08/2010
File Transfer...
27/04/2010
ASHRAF SOATHIIYA said:
I have recently graduated from 1 year ontario college graduate certificate program from centennial college doing INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MANAGEMENT. When i enrolled in this program me and many in my class were said by the agent from India (edwise international) that it was a postgrad diploma program when it is actually not.
You should know beforehand what courses you are enrolling into, all information is on websites.

I am looking for provincial nominee program in International graduate category for 3 provinces: Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia.
Alberta: When i contacted Alberta immigration to ask whether i am eligible with my education requirement they said you have to do a course which is a master level course....... NOW my doubt is that is the postgrad course a master level course? because one thing i know for sure that i get credits if i enroll in a masters program even though i dont want to- i can say this because according to centennial college credits can be transferred from a program to another if its is a same level of study-------- please help me with this confusion..
Again, check with your college/student counseller and the university you want to transfer to. You need an education in University to be considered a graduate/Master. So don't get transferred to another college.
British Columbia: The British Columbia immigration says you have to do degree/diploma to be eligible to nominate.
There are two categories. 1)If you are and international graduate from Canadian Institute(not exacty sure university or college) than you need a job offer to apply for BC PNP. 2) If you have done Master's or PhD in BC than you can apply(centennial is in Ontario, which also have a similiar program).

Also would like to ask whether an international student working on postgrad workpermit is termed as a temporary foreign worker??? ------ for manitoba pnp if nothing else work for me this is the last option i guess.
Yes. As long as its not a co-op.

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS CONFUSION AS I HAVE ALREADY WASTED A MONTH IN DECIDING MY FUTURE PNP OTIONS.......

Your best bet is to get transferred into a Master's programme(at a university) or get a permanent job offer.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
ASHRAF SORATHIYA
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT

Snoov

Star Member
Jul 11, 2014
Hi Ashraf Soathiiya:

is everything settled now? I am too going for 2 years certificate course would i face the same problem. I have joined certificate programs and will take the study permit visa for 2 years because of which i can approach for 3 years work visa. will i have problem for PR?

PLease guide

Ps. Mine too will be Ontario graduate certificate

and also could you please explain what is provincial nominee program you mentioned. i have no clue on it.

Thanks,
Snoov

ASHRAF SOATHIIYA said:

THANKS IN ADVANCE
ASHRAF SORATHIYA
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT

murtazajaffri_cca

Jun 3, 2015
Karachi, PK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
Doc's Request.
02-11-2015
Nomination.....
20-10-2015
AOR Received.
02-11-2015
IELTS Request
upfront
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
11-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
06-04-2016
LANDED..........
16-07-2016
Snoov said:
Hi Ashraf Soathiiya:

is everything settled now? I am too going for 2 years certificate course would i face the same problem. I have joined certificate programs and will take the study permit visa for 2 years because of which i can approach for 3 years work visa. will i have problem for PR?

PLease guide

Ps. Mine too will be Ontario graduate certificate

and also could you please explain what is provincial nominee program you mentioned. i have no clue on it.

Thanks,
Snoov
Snoov any updates??

faseenrazak

Apr 7, 2016
So as Asharaf said, is it possible to transfer credits from a graduate program in college to masters in university?

If so, after a 2 years pg diploma, how many extra semesters will we have to complete in a university to obtain a masters degree?

murtazajaffri_cca

Jun 3, 2015
Karachi, PK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
Doc's Request.
02-11-2015
Nomination.....
20-10-2015
AOR Received.
02-11-2015
IELTS Request
upfront
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
11-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
06-04-2016
LANDED..........
16-07-2016
StevieFray said:
Do not think by getting a graduate diploma that it is a Master's Degree. CIC is not stupid, they are tracking trends of persons getting these certificates to try and qualify for certain streams. I'm not being harsh but this is how they may interpret this trend. I would say to stick to the straight and narrow.

Please tell me what is the straight and narrow approach to get 3 years WP in Canada.

hbrsid86

Star Member
Dec 26, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-05-2019
Passport Req..
15-11-2019
LANDED..........
11-09-2021
Does Ontario Graduate Certificate Programs is equivalent to Masters degree?
Probably a better idea to start a new post than to comment on a 4 year old thread.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.