I just got my OWP :)))))))
Im so happy omg :)
I applied January the third and got it today
Good luck everybody !!!!!!

;D :D ;D could see you're so happy. Congratulations

TonyHomedad

Jan 21, 2015
Hi guys and girls!
Just want to share with you all that I have received OWP too!
The application was received by CIC on Jan 5 and received today on May 5. Wow exactly 4 months!

Here I have a dumb question, since I have this OWP, do I still need to maintain my temporary resident status (via visa extension)? or this OWP will replace temporary resident status?
Thank you

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone could help me with advice.

I applied Outland, but I met someone yesterday who needs help. Badly. Unfortunately she didn't find this forum before she applied. Her husband came up from America and they obtained information about spousal PR from parliament and the CIC call centre. They told her Inland was the best and fastest way so they gave her those forms and she sent in her Inland Spousal Application on 12/20/2014

They then applied for an open work permit March 5th 2015. the folks at CIC neglected to mention that Sean needed to extend his visitor visa to be eligible so, they mailed it back May 4th 2015, asking him to pay an additional $300 to restore his status, and be granted an OWP.

I was wondering for her, if she mails it back in with the additional funds, will it be another 4 month wait for the OWP from when they receive it? Is she doing this correctly, have I led her astray? Is there any other advice I can give her? She was so confused when I talked to her, it took forever just to figure out what application she had actually filed (inland or outland), CIC really strung her along and gave her horrible misinformation. They were really relieved to have some help and advice. They told her inland approved sponsors in 62 days .. which is Outland. UGH. But I digress!!!

Anything helps, I'm so unfamiliar with the Inland process and the new OWP stuff since I applied Outland thru Ottawa. Thank you for your time!! She is so grateful for any help. CIC really gave her some terrible advice and misinformation, so she's just happy to have a better understanding of what's actually going on.

bosephus98

Mar 24, 2015
Quick question about the OWP extra fees.

When you pay online, you click the " Work Permit (including extensions) $155" and the "Open Work Permit Holder Fee $100". Is this correct?

Also, do we need to include the "Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union" form? Or just IMM 5710?

Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bosephus98 said:
Quick question about the OWP extra fees.

When you pay online, you click the " Work Permit (including extensions) $155" and the "Open Work Permit Holder Fee $100". Is this correct?

Also, do we need to include the "Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union" form? Or just IMM 5710?

Thanks
Yep, $255 total.

No need for the SDCLU form, since your OWP eligibility is based solely on an Inland spousal sponsorship application that has been received by CIC; it's an automatic approval (if you have legal status).

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
Small update: OWP's issues since the pilot program no longer result in OHIP coverage. In my case, making the OWP mostly useless.

Open work permit holders (including those in CIC’s Post-Graduation Work Permit Program) may be eligible for Ontario health insurance coverage provided they are employed full-time for an employer in Ontario for a minimum of six months, have a valid work permit during this time, and they:

maintain their primary place of residence in Ontario; and are
physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period; and are
physically present in Ontario for 153 of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province.

Further information on the changes concerning Temporary Foreign Workers can be found on a fact sheet entitled “Temporary Foreign Workers”.
So, if you actually want health care, once you get your OWP you'll still have to work full time for 6 months, or if you aren't working full time, till the end of days when your AIP finally shows up.

chris1302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My husband went to service canada, and they said as long as he finds employment, the employee needs to write a letter stating that he will be working full-time with the company for 6 mnths (intends to work for 6 mnths)
This makes sense, find a job work you get OHIP. Somany OWP were issued in the past months, and how many people would take advantage of the system just to get OHIP.
We purchase every month private health care for $90 a month.
I think we should all be grateful that our spouse received the OWP on time :)

drjd

Apr 21, 2015
GustavesF said:
Small update: OWP's issues since the pilot program no longer result in OHIP coverage. In my case, making the OWP mostly useless.

So, if you actually want health care, once you get your OWP you'll still have to work full time for 6 months, or if you aren't working full time, till the end of days when your AIP finally shows up.
It appears that the Ministry of Health changed their policy on OWP Case 27 because of the pilot program...

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
chris1302 said:
My husband went to service canada, and they said as long as he finds employment, the employee needs to write a letter stating that he will be working full-time with the company for 6 mnths (intends to work for 6 mnths)
This makes sense, find a job work you get OHIP. Somany OWP were issued in the past months, and how many people would take advantage of the system just to get OHIP.
We purchase every month private health care for $90 a month.
I think we should all be grateful that our spouse received the OWP on time :)
Did your husband actually get his OHIP coverage yet? Service Canada doesn't do OHIP, Service Ontario does. You'd be surprised at how poorly they're connected.

Who is held responsible for this "letter"? What if you're not working full time but the letter claims you are. What if you don't work for 6 months, and you're misleading the employer? That just doesn't sound like credible information.

Yes, I'm very grateful that *I* pay for public health care just as much as the next family, but that coverage is only for me, not my wife.

Honestly, we didn't need the Pilot Program, we needed Inland Sponsorship to work like it is supposed to work.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
drjd said:
It appears that the Ministry of Health changed their policy on OWP Case 27 because of the pilot program...
If that's the case then Pilot Program is doing more harm than good. Detracting resources who could actually be working on applications instead of generating devalued OWPs.

The Ministry of Health never seemed to have a problem with foreign workers or students and their spouses, why the prejudice against Citizens and their spouses?

chris1302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GustavesF said:
Did your husband actually get his OHIP coverage yet? Service Canada doesn't do OHIP, Service Ontario does. You'd be surprised at how poorly they're connected.

Who is held responsible for this "letter"? What if you're not working full time but the letter claims you are. What if you don't work for 6 months, and you're misleading the employer? That just doesn't sound like credible information.

Yes, I'm very grateful that *I* pay for public health care just as much as the next family, but that coverage is only for me, not my wife.

Honestly, we didn't need the Pilot Program, we needed Inland Sponsorship to work like it is supposed to work.
It was service ontario then , the place you go and get your helath card. They just want to see proof that you are working, I don't think no one is held responsible.
The lady gave us a piece of paper stating what should be written in the letter.
Holy geez, first we complained about waiting so long for PR and OWP now we get the OWP and that is not good for us, suck it up an extra couple $ and pay for private health care.

quebecnewhusband

Feb 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2014
AOR Received.
28-10-2014
I don't know if this question has been replied yet : Does anyone know about the difference between case types 20 and 27 that appear on Open Work Permits (OWP)?

My wife got her OWP from the pilot project. Her case type # is 20, but we were expecting 27. I called CIC and they told me that 27 is for economic immigration, while 20 is for Family class. I think he got it wrong and it's the opposite, since many applicants from family class got type case #27.

It's very important because type cases #27 can have access to healthcare in Quebec (along with CSQ), while #20 cannot. Same for the French classes offered for free by the government. #27 can have them, while #20 cannot.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Service Ontario in Brampton Ontario is giving out Health cards to people who are on the Case 27 apparently.

Lisaveta

May 11, 2015
Jamesdavid3 said:
Service Ontario in Brampton Ontario is giving out Health cards to people who are on the Case 27 apparently.
are you sure? I went to the head office in Toronto and they said I need a letter from employee and then wait for 3 months.

Jazmine2015

May 11, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I have been following this forum/group for two weeks now and decided to share my case also (as this has been very helpful)

OWP application sent: January 5th 2015
Application received by office : January 9th 2015
I called CIC this morning and the agent told me that he had asked for the status of my application from the Alberta office. I hope that it comes out positive ;D

Good luck to y'all :)