+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Once PR approved, how many days you have before you need to land?

annemyrtle

Jul 13, 2009
Hi,
Please don't get me wrong, I can't wait to start a new life with my family in Canada, but if you got certain commitments that hinders you to leave once PR is approve, do you get like extesion after date of landing advised?
This is just a hypothetical question, if anybody know the answer.

Thanks.

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Sorry to tell you this...but Nope...no extension

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is the usual amount of days you get for you to Land?

And, hypothetical of course, even if you have instructions to land, can the border agent who is assinged to help you land still refuse you entry to Canada even though you have passed all the requirements from the CIC to get to the point of Landing?

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
When you receive your visa there is EXPIRY DATE. If you decide to come to Canada after that date the IO has the right to refuse your entrance.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's not just that the IO has a right to deny you. They have an obligation to deny you if you attempt to enter after your visa expires! When you are sent your visa, the accompanying letter explains that you must enter Canada on or before the expiry date of your visa. After that, the visa is invalid and you will have to re-apply for sponsorship all over again.

You absolutely cannot get an extension on your visa. But you can certainly land and then go back to your country again to look after unfinished business. The amount of time you get to land depends on when you did your medical. Your visa typically expires one year from the date of your medical exam. So if you did your medical July 30, 2009, your visa will expire July 30, 2010.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And to add, if you are not ready to move yet at the time of your visa expiry date, you can go to Canada on a short trip and do your landing, activate your PR status while the visa is still valid and then leave again. A PR of Canada is allowed to be outside of Canada up to 1095 days (3 years) in any 5 year period so if you need to stay in your home country for a year or two longer, it's not a problem.

When you land, you will be asked to give an address to get your PR card mailed to. If you have family or friends in Canada, you can give their address and they can mail the card to you when they get it in the mail. You can also ask immigration to hold the card because you need to leave again and at the time you want to return again, you can apply for a PR travel document to get back and apply for the PR card once you have moved to Canada permanently.

annemyrtle

Jul 13, 2009
Wow, thanks guys, you all have been very helpful and in fact I will do just what you all have suggested go in and get PR status over and done with, then go back.
Really really appreciate the insights!

popo

Jul 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
14-01-2010
ariell said:
The amount of time you get to land depends on when you did your medical. Your visa typically expires one year from the date of your medical exam. So if you did your medical July 30, 2009, your visa will expire July 30, 2010.
Is that for INland applications
because if my partner does his medical August 11/09 (thats when his apt is for) ... the application itself may take up to Aug 11/10?
how does it work when you have to do your medical BEFORE you send the application?

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NO. You've misunderstood. I was referring to an OUTLAND application, not INLAND. All outland applicants have to submit proof of having completed a medical exam with their application. The expiry date of the medical result is tied to the expiry date of the VISA, not to the length of time to finalize the application. So for instance my husband got his visa in February but he had until the end of June (when his medical results expired) to land.

popo

Jul 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
14-01-2010
okay i still dont understand..
I thought the medical expires a year after doing it.. am i wrong?

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, the medical expires a year after doing it. So if you do your medical on August 1, 2009, your medical will expire on August 1, 2010 and that date will ALSO be the date that your visa expires.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, if your medicals are about to expire and you are still in process, they may have you do them again. As for the PR visa, it's usually valid for a year after your medicals were done but if your medicals are close to expiring when they issue the visa, I am sure they'll give you a little more time. They would not give you a PR visa with 1 week expiry :)