+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

On-campus work after study over but study permit valid?

hlk.10

Feb 17, 2021
Hi all, My studies end in April 2021 and I took an on-campus job (10hrs/week) from Jan-June 2021. My study permit is valid till 31 July so I thought it was ok for me to work till June.
Is it allowed to work on-campus after the study ends and the study permit is valid. I will be applying for PGWP before my study permit expires, but there may be a week between study ends in April (get my final grades) and I apply for PGWP, is it ok to work on-campus then?
Thanks.

Last edited:

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Hi all, My studies end in April 2021 and I took an on-campus job (10hrs/week) from Jan-June 2021. My study permit is valid till 31 July so I thought it was ok for me to work till June.
Is it allowed to work on-campus after the study ends and the study permit is valid. I will be applying for PGWP before my study permit expires, but there may be a week between study ends in April (get my final grades) and I apply for PGWP, is it ok to work on-campus then?
Thanks.

I’m an international student. Can I continue to work after I’ve finished my study program?
Generally, no. You must stop working once you’ve received your final grades.

You can continue to work after you finished your studies only if:

• you’ve already applied for a work permit, or
  • you’re starting a new study program

So no, once you get confirmation that you've graduated, you can't work till you apply for PGWP.
Or if you're starting a new program, you can continue working.

Reactions: hlk.10

hlk.10

Feb 17, 2021
I’m an international student. Can I continue to work after I’ve finished my study program?
Generally, no. You must stop working once you’ve received your final grades.

You can continue to work after you finished your studies only if:

• you’ve already applied for a work permit, or
  • you’re starting a new study program

So no, once you get confirmation that you've graduated, you can't work till you apply for PGWP.
Or if you're starting a new program, you can continue working.
Hi, Thanks for your reply.
Just wondering if you know what " stop working once you've received final grades" mean.
Do I just take a leave from work till I don't apply for PGWP or my employer need to re-hire me after I apply for PGWP? I am a bit confused regarding what " stop working" implies.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Just wondering if you know what " stop working once you've received final grades" mean.
Do I just take a leave from work till I don't apply for PGWP or my employer need to re-hire me after I apply for PGWP? I am a bit confused regarding what " stop working" implies.
It means, when the school post your grades and sent you like a confirmation letter that you graduated, you are not supposed to work until you submit a PGWP application.

hlk.10

Feb 17, 2021
It means, when the school post your grades and sent you like a confirmation letter that you graduated, you are not supposed to work until you submit a PGWP application.
Thanks for the reply. So stop working means just not go to work for the time period I haven't applied for PGWP or do I need to resign from the job and then apply again after I have applied for PGWP. I want to continue the same job after my degree is over, so just taking a break for the time in between is alright? That is what I am worried about.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Thanks for the reply. So stop working means just not go to work for the time period I haven't applied for PGWP or do I need to resign from the job and then apply again after I have applied for PGWP. I want to continue the same job after my degree is over, so just taking a break for the time in between is alright? That is what I am worried about.
Yes. You won't work from when you get a confirmation letter to when you submit a PGWP application. When you get a confirmation letter, talk to your employer and tell him/her/them that you need a short leave of absence until you hit submit button for your PGWP application. How soon you apply for PGWP depends entirely on you if you have all the documents ready.

Reactions: hlk.10

hlk.10

Feb 17, 2021
Yes. You won't work from when you get a confirmation letter to when you submit a PGWP application. When you get a confirmation letter, talk to your employer and tell him/her/them that you need a short leave of absence until you hit submit button for your PGWP application. How soon you apply for PGWP depends entirely on you if you have all the documents ready.
Thanks for the reply. That helps a lot.

Reactions: Humpholito24

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Take a break, as someone mentioned above.