+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Older students (~30 y/o) success stories, let's hear them!

May 29, 2019
Please share your success stories and tips... looking for some motivation!!

I have been rejected based on the purpose of your visit and based on your personal assets and financial status. Applied for ATI, but not sure if it will be in time for re-application for September.

Background info:
I am a 29-year-old female Chinese elementary school teacher in China. My university degree is in Business English. My IELTS is 6.5 average.
I have never traveled outside of China. I applied and got unconditional acceptance to the 2-year Accounting (Diploma) at Vancouver's Langara College beginning September 2019. With this accounting degree, I will return to China to help out my near-retiring parents. This pay would be substantially better than a teacher's income.

I have paid full tuition ($12,000 CAD to Langara) and I have a Scotiabank GIC ($10,100 CAD). I also have 300,000 RMB (Roughly converts to 56k CAD) in my bank and additional funds if required. For financial information, I provided my GIC, proof of tuition paid, the aforementioned bank statement, my current employment letter and salary, my parents' employment letters and salaries, our joint house ownership certificate.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your biggest issue is your choice of programs. It doesn't make a lot of sense, How low are your IELTS scores?

May 29, 2019
I figured that would be the case. Would it help if I obtained a letter of employement guarentee for an accounting job in China? I really want to learn some new skills and it also pays better than being a teacher...

Langara doesn't really offer any accessibly education related programs... does that mean I can't go to Canada to study something new???

My IELTS is 7.5, 7.5, 5.5, 5.5 and that was enough for the Langara admission. The refusal also did not state my English level as a blocker.