+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP Internation student stream - Deadline

meetp23586

Jun 21, 2024
Hey everyone, I need help from you!!

I currently work for the Municipal Government in IT. I graduated on August 20, 2022. Since I'm already employed by the municipal government, I discussed the OINP under International Student Stream with my manager, and he agreed to support my application through this stream.

However, there's a rule with OINP stating that within two years of graduating, I need to apply and receive an invitation. Right now, the government isn't holding any draws for the International Student stream. My deadline is August 20, 2024, and if a draw doesn't happen before then, I won't qualify for OINP anymore.

Is there any way to maintain my eligibility beyond this deadline? Also, any idea when the next draw might happen under this category? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

tee2406

Jun 6, 2024
I do not think there is anything that can be done. You just hopefully they will do some draws before your due date. Alternatively, you can submit EOI to other streams like foreign worker stream if you have experience outside of Canada or in-demand skills stream ( you work in IT right). There is nothing stopping you from submitting EOIs to many streams and hope that they nominate you in one.

As for when they will do another draw, I couldn't be sure. at the beginning of the year they held back to back draws for international students. And last year, their last draw was in November for international students.
in 2021: 7493 invited -quota -9,000
In 2022: 8303 invited - quota was 9,750
in 2023 16766 invited to apply- quota was 16,500.
In 2024 so far 11 789 the quota for for 2024 is 21,500.
So it seems there is still space to nominate more people if they follow previous trends. Keep in mind some people who are nominated in a given year are from the previous years applications and invitations.

Also, those number do not reflect EE streams and I am not sure if EE streams are included on the year's quota.