+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****October 2018**** INLAND SPOUSE SPONSORSHIP

mattw0903

Jun 30, 2017
Yes, he has implied status.
Hey, you don't actually get implied status with a OWP application unless you currently hold one and are extending it. I recently asked IRCC this question as I also had a similar issue.

Their response was:
"If you've applied to extend an open work permit that you already hold, you're covered by implied status and should be ok to stay in Canada while your applications are being processed. If you're currently in Canada only as a visitor, you'll have to apply to extend your stay while your applications are processed."

mattw0903

Jun 30, 2017
While I'm here thought I'd give back a bit as the forum has been a great help with info.

Probably one of the last October applicants. Application was sent on the 29th and received on the 30th.

Reactions: baimmeb

Betabr

Mar 21, 2018
Just tried with the payment receipt and sponsor's information. Nothing.

If people from late October start receiving AOR and I still haven't I'll conclude there is an issue.
For now, just more patience
At this point knowing that people after you are receiving AOR, I would call cic to check for information whether they returned it or if a mistake happened with your sponsor's e-mail address (I've seen people not receiving it bc the officer typed it wrong in the system).

Betabr

Mar 21, 2018
Hi! I'm just finalizing my partner's application including the OWP. Quick question if anyone can help - in the IMM5710 Application to Change Conditions, it has a section where you need to provide details of intended work in Canada. Do I need to have something to put in here or do I leave it blank? We haven't pursued employment for him yet because we thought we had to wait for the OWP to come through.

I just don't want to send in this application and they return it as incomplete. Thanks in advance!
I guess they have this question because some fields wont allow people to work without an extra medical exam. For example if he intends to work with child care he needs to inform it otherwise his OWP will come with an exception stating the fields where he can't work with that permit. (Not sure if my English made it clear)

Betabr

Mar 21, 2018
Hey, you don't actually get implied status with a OWP application unless you currently hold one and are extending it. I recently asked IRCC this question as I also had a similar issue.

Their response was:
"If you've applied to extend an open work permit that you already hold, you're covered by implied status and should be ok to stay in Canada while your applications are being processed. If you're currently in Canada only as a visitor, you'll have to apply to extend your stay while your applications are processed."
This is not true. CIC's call center makes some mistakes when they give out informations. The person needs to have legal status (from being a tourist, worker or student) to apply for the OWP and by doing that if the application is not returned an implied status is applied.

However, if the owp is denied then the person on implied status will be out of status. - I just haven't seen one being denied under this sponsorship class. - But to be 100% sure of holding a status til the end, dont be on an implied status.

Ps: it is always better to call them more than once to speak the same subject with different attendants.

Last edited:

danielt

Star Member
Oct 30, 2018
At this point knowing that people after you are receiving AOR, I would call cic to check for information whether they returned it or if a mistake happened with your sponsor's e-mail address (I've seen people not receiving it bc the officer typed it wrong in the system).
Thanks.
My sponsor is calling.
However, they ask for the application number in the automated menus.
Do you know the way to get around that?
Edit: she is going for other options, not PR application. Getting the usual "too many calls" response so far.

Last edited:

dstpcansgirlfriend

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
AOR Received.
30-10-2018
This is not true. CIC's call center makes some mistakes when they give out informations. The person needs to have legal status (from being a tourist, worker or student) to apply for the OWP and by doing that if the application is not returned an implied status is applied.

However, if the owp is denied then the person on implied status will be out of status. - I just haven't seen one being denied under this sponsorship class. - But to be 100% sure of holding a status til the end, dont be on an implied status.

Ps: it is always better to call them more than once to speak the same subject with different attendants.
That makes sense. He was on implied visitor status when we sent the OWP application and now we are just waiting. Thanks for all your help!

Betabr

Mar 21, 2018
Thanks.
My sponsor is calling.
However, they ask for the application number in the automated menus.
Do you know the way to get around that?
Edit: she is going for other options, not PR application. Getting the usual "too many calls" response so far.
Unfortunately getting a chance to speak with them is hard. Sometimes it is better to be patient and wait for the AOR which usually takes from 4 to 8 weeks to arrive. Something is happening since September that they are speeding up this waiting time, but still.

Last edited:

Betabr

Mar 21, 2018
That makes sense. He was on implied visitor status when we sent the OWP application and now we are just waiting. Thanks for all your help!
Ok. Then we have a different scenario if he was on an implied status when he sent the owp application. He needs to have legal status (not implied status) in order to be elegible for the OWP.

I dont remember if you already said it before. Did he apply for a visitor extension and that gave him implied status because his visitor status expired and he is waiting for the result of the extension?