+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining Canadian Citizenship for Husband

Julesgems

Jun 28, 2010
I met my husband 9 months ago. We got pregnant 7 months ago and just on the 11th we married. I am a Candian Citizen. He is illegal from Mexico. What is the next step in obtaining a citizenship for him? Perment Residence first? Can he do that? This is his second time living in Canada - he has lived here now for about 3 years in total (went back to Mexico for 6 months in bewtween).
Baby is due in late February ... can this help speed the process, especially if I obtaining a SIN number for my child? I have heard so many different scenarios that it is a bit daunting knowing which way to move forward.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you apply inland to sponsor him for PR, it is less likely for him to get deported but these applications usually take a bit longer. If everything goes well, he could have first stage approval, health care and open work permit in 9 months and PR in 18 months or so. If an interview is required, it will delay the application and he would not get his first stage approval right away. If he were deported, they would cancel your inland application because it is a requirement for inland that he is in Canada. They are not supposed to deport people who are applying inland but as we heard recently from another couple, sometimes they do anyway.

If you apply outland through Mississauga and Mexico, it could take up to 15 months to get PR. There is no open work permit for outland.

He can apply for citizenship after he spends 3 years in Canada as a PR. He can count some of the time he was in Canada before getting PR but not time when he was illegal.

Julesgems

Jun 28, 2010
Hello Leon,

Can I sponser him if I have no employment? I was out of a job for 5 months and he supported ME. I will be on EI now for Maternity. I didn't think I COULD sponser him.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Julesgems said:
Hello Leon,

Can I sponser him if I have no employment? I was out of a job for 5 months and he supported ME. I will be on EI now for Maternity. I didn't think I COULD sponser him.
You can sponsor him if you are unemployed or on maternity as long as you are not bankrupt and not on social assistance. EI is not considered social assistance. There is no income requirement to sponsor a spouse.

If you don't sponsor him, how else would he get PR? If he qualified to apply for himself, he would have done it already. As a sponsor, you are financially responsible for him for 3 years after he gets his PR. During this time, he can not get social assistance or disability payments or actually he could but you would get the bill to repay them.