+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-residency/phyical residency affect on approved family sponsorship app

Enquirer

Sep 15, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I write here as i see great input/advice from people based on experience and knowledge about various immigration issues. Let me explain my case first.

I am currently a PR who already applied for CAN citizenship and expecting to recieve the passport by Q1/2011. I applied from my parents/dependant brother(less than 22) sponsorship back in 2007. I expect its approval soon in the coming 2-3 months from CPC-M based on the official processing timelines. Following that i would need to get a CAQ(Quebec) for them and consequently submit an immigration application for them in home country canadian embassy. The last step to finalize and obtain immigration visa for my parents will atleast take 3-4 further years. Since this is a long time and i did like to bring in my parents as soon as possible or be as close to them as possible, I was thinking of perhaps going back and work in my home country or somewhere near there until the final immigration step for my parents is finalized. This i planned to do once i have submitted the PR application in the Canadian embassy for the last step. As soon as they recieve the immigration visa i would relocate back to Canada

Now i know that one can only sponsor parents in family class from within Canada and not from outside. However the key thing is that if i do go ahead with moving to another country for some time then would this affect my parent's sponsorship/immigration application which would already be approved by CPC-M and Quebec in an way ?

Any advice here or a potential way forward would be really appreciated.

regards

Enquirer

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi enquirer,

As you pointed out, you cannot sponsor your parents from outside of Canada. This means that you must be living in Canada for the duration of the sponsorship process. If you leave, your application would become void. Perhaps not immediately, but certainly once they discover that you have left Canada. This is a quote from the CIC website re: sponsorship:

"If you are a Canadian citizen who lives abroad and plans to return to Canada when your relatives immigrate, you may sponsor your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or your dependent children who have no dependent children. For more information, see Spouses, partners and dependent children in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.

To sponsor any other eligible relatives (for example, parents and grandparents), you must be living in Canada."

Although 3-4 years is a long time to wait, it doesn't mean that you can't see your parents during that time. Why don't they get a tourist visa to come and visit you in Canada? The visa is typically issued for 6 months duration and you can apply to extend the visa. That way, you can still be with your parents and then they can decide for sure if they would like to live in Canada. Depending on your parents age and qualifications, they may qualify under the Skilled Workers category which might be faster than sponsorship. Good luck.

Enquirer

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks for the input Ariell. I knew and thought so but thanks for the confirmation In this case, I will rather stay in Canada and try to get my parents as frequent visit visas as possible.

regards

Enquirer