+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC CODE help (Visiting Assistant Professor in a Liberal Arts College in the US)

Snape09

Star Member
Jul 21, 2022
Hi All,

Does anyone know what NOC should I choose for Visiting Assistant Professor in a Liberal Arts College in the US?? 4011 University professors and lecturers or 4021 College and other vocational instructors?

Snape09

Star Member
Jul 21, 2022
*I have highlighted in red what corresponds to the main duties I assume at my current job. Yes I do have a PhD, it is required to be a Visiting Assistant Professor.

NOC 4011 University Professors and Lectures

• Main duties
    University professors and lecturers perform some or all of the following duties:
    • Teach one or more university subjects to undergraduate and graduate students
    • Prepare and deliver lectures to students and conduct laboratory sessions or discussion groups
    • Prepare, administer and grade examinations, laboratory assignments and reports
    • Advise students on course and academic matters and career decisions
    • Direct research programs of graduate students and advise on research matters
    • Conduct research in field of specialization and publish findings in scholarly journals or books (in the contract: research, scholarship, or artistic performance at your discretion)
    • May serve on faculty committees dealing with such matters as curriculum planning and degree requirements, and perform a variety of administrative duties
    • May represent their universities as speakers and guest lecturers
    • May provide professional consultative services to government, industry and private individuals.
  • University professors and lecturers specialize in a particular subject matter such as biology, chemistry, anatomy, sociology, business administration or law.
  • Employment requirements (I do have a PHD; it is a requirement to get the JOB)
    • A doctoral degree in the field of specialization is required for university professors.
4021 - College and other vocational instructors
  • Main duties
    College and other vocational instructors perform some or all of the following duties:
    • Teach students using a systematic plan of lectures, demonstrations, discussion groups, laboratory work, shop sessions, seminars, case studies, field assignments and independent or group projects
    • Develop curriculum and prepare teaching materials and outlines for courses
    • Prepare, administer and mark tests and papers to evaluate students' progress
    • Advise students on program curricula and career decisions
    • Provide individualized tutorial or remedial instruction to students who require it
    • Supervise independent or group projects, field placements, laboratory work or hands-on training
    • Supervise teaching assistants (FOR SURE NO, that's not part of my current job)
    • May provide consultation services to government, business and other organizations
    • May serve on committees concerned with matters such as budgets, curriculum revision, and course and diploma requirements.
  • These instructors specialize in particular fields or areas of study such as visual arts, dental hygiene, welding, engineering technology, policing, computer software, management and early childhood education.
  • Employment requirements (MY current TITLE (Visiting Assistant Professor requires a PhD in Hand to Get the Job)
    • A bachelor's degree, a college diploma or demonstrated expertise in the field of instruction is required.
    • A master's degree in the field of instruction may be required.
    • A certificate, diploma or degree in adult education may be required.
    • For instructors of trades, completion of apprenticeship training and industry or trade certification are required. Additional courses in teaching or a provincial teaching certificate may be required.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
One thing that I can tell you is that the job title is not of importance for immigration. Whether you are called a professor, instructor, researcher, etc. it does not really matter. Only duties, place of work (type of institution) and educational requirements matter. Someone can be called a "hygienic engineer" but if job duties reveal they are a janitor, this would be their NOC. (I am exaggerating, but that's how it goes).

The main issue is that Canada NOCs do not understand a difference between a tenure & tenure track job and non-tenure track. This is why many people who work in 4011 miss the research component (because they only teach), or miss teaching component (if they only do research). So many people work at Universities with a PhD but only do teaching (my wife's case) - is that 4011 because of education and type of institution, or 4021 because there is no research and supervising component? Similarly, if someone has a PhD and does teaching, research and supervising, but the institution is a college and not university, are they 4011 or 4021?

Essentially, they seem to think that 4011 = University + PhD + teaching and research; 4021 = College + MA (or BA, certificate) + teaching only. They didn't get the memo that various combinations are possible, and there is no indication what takes precedence (education level over type of institution?)

As far as I can tell, you fulfill more duties and education requirement for 4011 (the "may" duties can be ignored more or less, so don't worry about them). Like I said, my wife does only teaching (is paid for that; research is at her own discretion, which means they do not pay her for that. Is that your case, too?) She works at a University in Canada and her job is officially 4011. (As stated by the University - not sure if this is given by Canada officials or how it's determined).

I would say that the only thing you don't fulfil is "university" in the name of your institution. Does your institution have grad programs? Does it perform research? (Even if you personally are not paid for research)? This is a 4021 institution description: This unit group includes instructors who teach applied arts, academic, technical and vocational subjects to students at community colleges, CEGEPs, agricultural colleges, technical and vocational institutes, language schools and other college level schools.

On the other hand, since you seem to only perform teaching at a college, one can also argue that it's 4021 regardless of your education. So if you feel your institution is more along the lines of a college, then you can argue you are 4021 even with a PhD. (Though I do think PhD jobs are 4011, but don't take my word on it).

Reactions: Snape09

Snape09

Star Member
Jul 21, 2022
Much thanks for your detailed response. This is helpful

I don't care really about the title lol I just want to choose the correct NOC.

I am definitely NOT paid to do research (It is at my discretion as stated in the contract).

=> Above all, I definitely teach and do service. (caveat: I do get paid a higher salary because of my PhD, otherwise I would have been a lecturer and paid less money).
=> NO, it is mostly an undergrad institution focused on teaching. Recently, they added a master's degree in history. Tenured Faculty at my College are expected to do research tho. I don't think the College teaches vocational subjects such as the likes of agriculture, Hospitality, Manufacturing...etc), but more in line with business management, criminal justice, public health...etc.

**I am happy to go for the NOC 4021 (caveat: I don't take some of the responsibilities mentioned in 4021:
  • Provide individualized tutorial or remedial instruction to students who require it (I could provide help tho during office hours and in general I do make PowerPoint available for all students.
  • Supervise independent or group projects, field placements, laboratory work or hands-on training (I do ask students to do group projects, but I don't really supervise them.
  • Supervise teaching assistants (FOR SURE NO, that's not part of my current job)

I don't know if I should even go for 4012 - Post-secondary teaching and research assistants?
I was a graduate assistant (an instructor) from Fall 2018 to Spring 2020 (four semesters, continuous work, part-time work over two years) (exactly 1,560 hours over four semesters; 20 hours/week; 780 for two semesters).

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I understand the situation, but unfortunately I am not completely sure what is the best approach. Perhaps you should search "4011" and "4021" here to see people's experiences in the past years. The way I see it, teaching-only 4011 appointments and 4021 appointments have very similar duties - keep in mind that your reference letter should not, in any circumstance, copy the wording of the duties from IRCC website. As long as they describe your duties appropriately, 4011 teaching and 4021 WILL be very similar (if not almost identical).

For example, personalized tutorials - This, I believe, is for 4021 who are coaches and instructors of a different kind (where class topics and material have to be personalized. For example, public speaking teacher - I just found it as an example of 4021). Similar for hands-on training or labs. This highly depends on the subject you teach (same for Teaching Assistants - if your subjects do not have them, or if you are not in charge of them, then ok).

I know we keep hearing that NOC has to fit at least 50% of duties listed, but these NOCs are a bit specific in that they include very varied types of occupations (from research only to teaching only). Not saying that these are the only poorly-defined NOCs (I know engineers have a lot of trouble with it), but I think a letter of explanation of why you only fulfill 50% or so duties is a good way to go (I don't think it's necessary, but it can't hurt). You have 4 out of 7 main duties. I'd even argue that you can also push for group projects ("supervising" can mean anything, from simply giving a project and instructions on how to complete it and then letting them work). Same for personalized teaching (office hours help with the material).

For 4011, you have 4 out of 6 duties (everything except research). So that fits, too. I know everyone emphasizes that duties have to match (as many as possible), but I do think you have enough.

I do think that the main catch is how your institution is viewed, and whether they look at education over type of institution. I think there is a way to argue that your institution is closer to an university in Canada, but please don't take my word on it.

P.S. - I can't help but chuckle at the bolded "Supervise teaching assistants (FOR SURE NO, that's not part of my current job)"

Reactions: Snape09