+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC Classification of Federal Government Job

aba_bab

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Hi All,

I worked 2 casual contracts at NRCAN, where my classification was a CR5. My official title was a financial services provider, and my wage came to approximately $25 an hour. My question is, my duties are a cross of some Category C jobs, but also one or two of category B jobs. I can get a job letter citing those exact same duties, but from reading this website, I have seen that apparently you compensation rate can determine your category level as well?

Can someone shed some light on this please?

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
aba_bab said:
Hi All,

I worked 2 casual contracts at NRCAN, where my classification was a CR5. My official title was a financial services provider, and my wage came to approximately $25 an hour. My question is, my duties are a cross of some Category C jobs, but also one or two of category B jobs. I can get a job letter citing those exact same duties, but from reading this website, I have seen that apparently you compensation rate can determine your category level as well?

What matters is, are the MAJORITY of your duties category B?

Recently, CIC in collaboration with HRSDC has been paying more attention to the "genuineness" of the job. One way of doing that is to ensure that the wages are on par with Canadian wages for the same job. This is to (1) discourage fraud on the part of applicants, and (2) discourage employers from abusing immigrants by paying them less than Canadians, as well as replacing Canadians because immigrants will accept lower wages.

Many people with category C jobs of course try to convince CIC that they are doing the job at a higher skill level. Some succeed, some don't.

In the case of these C/B banking positions, it looks like banks are trying to get financial planners without paying for a financial planner. :) Gotta LOVE the industry - ha. In any case, it seems like standard practice in banking, judging by the number of you asking about it. if it is a legitimate company, and you legitimately do mostly skill level B work, you should be OK.

aba_bab

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Thanks for the response. Well, I'm not working for a banking institute.

I worked on a contract with Natural Resources of Canada, Fed. Govt in a classification CR05 with $25 an hour. Do they have any classification for government positions for the NOC? Because I have tried looking, and haven't found anything.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aba_bab said:
Thanks for the response. Well, I'm not working for a banking institute.

I worked on a contract with Natural Resources of Canada, Fed. Govt in a classification CR05 with $25 an hour. Do they have any classification for government positions for the NOC? Because I have tried looking, and haven't found anything.
You will find that CR category is Clerks regulatory. In the NOC that is occupations starting with 14 Level C semi skilled.

aba_bab

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Thanks,

but thats the issue, the actual title is not reflective of my duties, as I did a fair number of duties that FI01's would have done, so i guess i"ll just have to document the duties as best as possible from the department when I get my experience letter from them

kja.journo

Nov 12, 2010
Hi everyone,

We are journalists based in Vancouver currently looking to interview a high-skilled TFW for a 15 minute documentary film, on behalf of the city of Vancouver. The film explores workers' needs and experiences working and living in Vancouver. Its purpose is to raise public awareness around the TFW program to suggest policy changes. Please call or email us if you are interested in sharing your experience, we can also keep your identity anonymous if you are not comfortable sharing your full name on camera.

(778)321-8275 for Krystle
or
email devon.wong@vancouver.ca for Devon

Krystle and Devon

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
aba_bab said:
Thanks,

but thats the issue, the actual title is not reflective of my duties, as I did a fair number of duties that FI01's would have done, so i guess i"ll just have to document the duties as best as possible from the department when I get my experience letter from them
maybe best is to call HR they'll tell you more info. But, there is nothin out there to truly identify your NOC when you're federal gov employee, at least none I found yet