+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Newly Appointed French Citizen, Quebec Residency?

avidrunner

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
So this is kind of a complicated story but my wife was born in Algeria and her father was born in France. My wife’s father worked in a rather high position of military for the government of Algeria before raising his family and had to remove French citizenship in order to work in this position. After retirement he moved back to France to live and took back his French citizenship. I’m not sure what it’s called when you are born in France, have children in another country (Algeria and hence born to Algerian citizenship due to the military regulations) but move back to France and want to sponsor your children to become French citizens as well. “Family sponsorship?” After my wife’s father moved back to his hometown in France he sponsored one of his children, who was born in Algeria, to become a French citizen. This son was in his early twenties at the time of sponsorship and was able to receive French citizenship due to his father being born in France. I don’t think it’s a requirement to be living in France for this type of sponsorship to happen which is why I call it “family sponsorship” in quotes, as usually sponsorship requires living in the country as well. This is more like an inheritance of original citizenship if you will...

Anyways! I’m overseas and living with my wife and she would love to come with me to Montreal, Quebec next year. If I am to do an inland spousal sponsorship with her being a French citizen would it be easier than doing an inland spousal sponsorship if she is an Algerian citizen?

Or are there even better ways for newly appointed French citizens to immigrate to Quebec? This is a long story and hope it makes some sense, hope I didn’t complicate things here. If you need any questions answered I can ask!

Thanks all!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
There is no specific pathway for French citizens to immigrate to Quebec. You will likely find language requirements easier to meet.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure she would actually qualify for French citizenship at this point but waiting to see if she gets French citizenship would just delay spousal sponsorship.