+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Newbie needs expert advice

can_i_can

Jan 18, 2018
Hi Experts,

Appreciate your help and guidance.

Background:
  • Completed my first post-secondary education ‘Diploma in Computer engineering’ in 1994
  • Completed Bachelor of Arts (non-computer) in 2004 and Master of Arts in 2007.
  • Followed by 20+ years of Information technology experience, mainly into System Analyst role (NOC code 2171)
  • Age 44, Jan 1974 born.
  • English language - very good (able to secure 6.5 in each band of IELTS)
  • Family of 2+2 (i.e. 2 kids)

Question:
  1. Which province would be best fit for my situation
  2. Which route
    1. Express entry
    2. Skilled worker
  3. How I should start, i.e. steps to apply [please help to sequence them]
    1. Obtain ECA first
    2. Obtain CIPS certification to fulfil and secure points under licensing
    3. Clear IELTS
    4. Apply for provincial nominee program
  4. For education, can I get additional points for my Master degree (non-computer related), though I apply under 2171 NOC code (IT system analyst)

Many thanks in advance.

Reactions: Peri

ashuindian

VIP Member
Jan 5, 2016
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
4Jan16
Nomination.....
01Jun16
AOR Received.
17Jan17
File Transfer...
09 Feb17
Med's Request
08 Jun17
Med's Done....
13 Jun17
Passport Req..
05-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2018
LANDED..........
15-05-2018
You can only apply for NSNP DEMAND EE CATEGORY B. This NOC is in their Occupation list. This is a without Job offer category. Clear ielts, get ECA, no need to go for CIPS because this noc is non regulated there.
First u have to create EE profile in IRCC federal pool. After that u wii be eliitle for that. Yes. You will get points for your Master degree.
These are helpful threads about creating EE profile.
Better u read and ask here
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/express-entry-step-by-step-instructions-t273928.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/express-entry-step-by-step-instructions-t273928.0.html

Last edited:
Reactions: can_i_can

can_i_can

Jan 18, 2018
You can only apply for NSNP DEMAND EE CATEGORY B. This NOC is in their Occupation list. This is a without Job offer category. Clear ielts, get ECA, no need to go for CIPS because this noc is non regulated there.
First u have to create EE profile in IRCC federal pool. After that u wii be eliitle for that. Yes. You will get points for your Master degree.
These are helpful threads about creating EE profile.
Better u read and ask here

Thanks a lot Ashu,

While googling, was come to know (ofcos before posting this query) about Manitoba also accepts application for 2171 code:
http://www.immigratemanitoba.com/immigrate-to-manitoba/in-demand-occupations/

Will it be same process?

Also, the ECA will cover both ? (1) My IT qualification - Diploma in Computer Engg and (2) MA
Or do I need to have two separate ECA?

If you don't mind, would you be able to share your contact#, so I can call you to understand it further [Many thanks in advance]

ashuindian

VIP Member
Jan 5, 2016
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
4Jan16
Nomination.....
01Jun16
AOR Received.
17Jan17
File Transfer...
09 Feb17
Med's Request
08 Jun17
Med's Done....
13 Jun17
Passport Req..
05-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2018
LANDED..........
15-05-2018
Manitoba has typical rules. They need Job offer or Close relative or Friend need to be in there (must have enough proofs to be submitted)
This is available in Ontario pnp as well. But they need about 400 CRS to apply.
You have to send all post secondary mark lists and degrees . They evaluate each one seperately.
This is the list of CIC designated ECA Organizatios . Each has there email address for queries. You can ask them.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=681&top=29
Better you will confirm about M.A. degree points directly through email to immigration@gov.sk.ca
(You can use any email address)

Last edited:

can_i_can

Jan 18, 2018
Thanks Ashu,

Thanks for ECA links, I shall go through them to understand.

Do I need to be careful?
like if I am going for 2171 provide more certificates related to IT, rather non-IT. I am just trying to avoid a chance where they sum-up that I can't fit for 2171.

Also, you mentioned about MA degree, is it just Saskatchewan which consider it? Because you suggested to reach out to Saskatchewan immigration for the same.

Currently, Novascotia (NSNP DEMAND EE CATEGORY B) is closed, as per their website, how often they (re)open in a year ?

As plan-B, if I also do homework to prepare for Manitoba, I presume they must be very strict for proofs for 'Manitoba friend' category. I have a friend who migrated before couple of years, was thinking how he can be of help?

Regards,

A

ashuindian

VIP Member
Jan 5, 2016
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
4Jan16
Nomination.....
01Jun16
AOR Received.
17Jan17
File Transfer...
09 Feb17
Med's Request
08 Jun17
Med's Done....
13 Jun17
Passport Req..
05-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2018
LANDED..........
15-05-2018
Thanks Ashu,

Thanks for ECA links, I shall go through them to understand.

Do I need to be careful?
like if I am going for 2171 provide more certificates related to IT, rather non-IT. I am just trying to avoid a chance where they sum-up that I can't fit for 2171.

Also, you mentioned about MA degree, is it just Saskatchewan which consider it? Because you suggested to reach out to Saskatchewan immigration for the same.

Currently, Novascotia (NSNP DEMAND EE CATEGORY B) is closed, as per their website, how often they (re)open in a year ?

As plan-B, if I also do homework to prepare for Manitoba, I presume they must be very strict for proofs for 'Manitoba friend' category. I have a friend who migrated before couple of years, was thinking how he can be of help?

Regards,

A
Friend sponsorship
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-a-friend-sponsor-me-to-manitoba.121762/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-to-find-a-friend-from-manitoba-to-sponsor-a-new-immigrant.395643/

ashuindian

VIP Member
Jan 5, 2016
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
4Jan16
Nomination.....
01Jun16
AOR Received.
17Jan17
File Transfer...
09 Feb17
Med's Request
08 Jun17
Med's Done....
13 Jun17
Passport Req..
05-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2018
LANDED..........
15-05-2018
SINP is more comfortable than NSNP. Their rules and application process is very tough, and have to wait long for intake opening.
NOCs 2173 and 2175 are I'm the sinp demand list. Choose the right one. Be careful , your 70% job duties must match with their expected. They are regulated. But easy and less time waiting period for licensing . I think 2173 is good. Decide yourself.

can_i_can

Jan 18, 2018
SINP is more comfortable than NSNP. Their rules and application process is very tough, and have to wait long for intake opening.
NOCs 2173 and 2175 are I'm the sinp demand list. Choose the right one. Be careful , your 70% job duties must match with their expected. They are regulated. But easy and less time waiting period for licensing . I think 2173 is good. Decide yourself.
Thanks @ashuindian but now, I am lost, honestly....

"SINP is more comfortable than NSNP. [Their rules and application process is very tough]"
How come it's comfortable, if it's tough.

I would really appreciate if you can spend some time (thanks) to analyse my case and advise which PNP I should go. I need faster results. Following are the options.
(1) Manitoba
(2) Saskatchewan
(3) Nova Scotia
(4) any other?

fyi - I need to stick to NOC-2171 (System Analyst), as have the documentation (i.e. work experience letters) ready. Thus, option# 2 is not available for me at the moment.

Couple of other Qs:

(1) There's a different requirement about ECA certificate for Immigration and General (license) purpose. Do I need to get another ECA in general for license, after doing one for Immigration. I'm evaluating option for Manitoba, where 2171 is regulated.

(2) After migrating on PNP, if I can't get a job in that province (worst case scenario), can I move to another state?

(3) Can I expect nomination from more than one province? if I apply to both of them (Manitoba, Nova Scotia)

(4) Where exactly work experience gets evaluated, at (a) ECA (b) Province assessment (c) CIC

I would really appreciate expert opinion from the experts - @scylla @PMM @Leon @canuck_in_uk

Many Thanks to all of you for your time [is precious], unfortunately I have little now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'll help with one question. Yes - if you immigrate through a PNP stream and cannot find a job in that province, you can relocate to another province in Canada.

You have quite a lot of questions. If you don't have time to research the programs to understand your options and how to apply, then you would be best off hiring an immigration consultant or lawyer to handle this process for you. Many here have applied without the assistance of an immigration lawyer/consultant - but this means that you have to spend quite a bit of your own time researching. If you don't have the time to do this - a lawyer/consultant is your best option.

Good luck.

ashuindian

VIP Member
Jan 5, 2016
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
4Jan16
Nomination.....
01Jun16
AOR Received.
17Jan17
File Transfer...
09 Feb17
Med's Request
08 Jun17
Med's Done....
13 Jun17
Passport Req..
05-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2018
LANDED..........
15-05-2018

Peri

Nov 17, 2017
Hi Experts,

Appreciate your help and guidance.

Background:
  • Completed my first post-secondary education ‘Diploma in Computer engineering’ in 1994
  • Completed Bachelor of Arts (non-computer) in 2004 and Master of Arts in 2007.
  • Followed by 20+ years of Information technology experience, mainly into System Analyst role (NOC code 2171)
  • Age 44, Jan 1974 born.
  • English language - very good (able to secure 6.5 in each band of IELTS)
  • Family of 2+2 (i.e. 2 kids)

Question:
  1. Which province would be best fit for my situation
  2. Which route
    1. Express entry
    2. Skilled worker
  3. How I should start, i.e. steps to apply [please help to sequence them]
    1. Obtain ECA first
    2. Obtain CIPS certification to fulfil and secure points under licensing
    3. Clear IELTS
    4. Apply for provincial nominee program
  4. For education, can I get additional points for my Master degree (non-computer related), though I apply under 2171 NOC code (IT system analyst)

Many thanks in advance.

Peri

Nov 17, 2017
Sir, did you first check whether you got 67 points to be qualified under express entry?, moreover SINP, NSNP doesn't have 2171 in-demand occupation list

can_i_can

Jan 18, 2018
I'll help with one question. Yes - if you immigrate through a PNP stream and cannot find a job in that province, you can relocate to another province in Canada.

You have quite a lot of questions. If you don't have time to research the programs to understand your options and how to apply, then you would be best off hiring an immigration consultant or lawyer to handle this process for you. Many here have applied without the assistance of an immigration lawyer/consultant - but this means that you have to spend quite a bit of your own time researching. If you don't have the time to do this - a lawyer/consultant is your best option.

Good luck.
Tanks Scylla for the answer, and time going through the quetions.

With respect to hiring a lawyer, I tried with one in India, however felt that it's better I do it my own, as they have one solution for everyone. For example, he was highly suggesting me SIMP. Said that, the fact remains the same, I am running 45, so not much time left.

Further, I have done the homework, that's the reason of so many questions (rather queries).

I still need your (@scylla) and ofcos @ashuindian expert advice on following:
(1) Where exactly work experience gets evaluated, at (a) ECA (b) Province assessment (c) CIC assessment.
(2) Which ECA institute I should get my degrees evaluated, as I have a Master in non-NOC related, which WES don't recognize as master, the consider it as bachelor equivalent.