shezy

Mar 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys,

I became a member of this forum long back however I am (was) not an active member. I came here as an international student from Hyderabad - India and finished my studies. I now, work in a software company in Downtown and finished my 8 months of work experience. My GF who has a similar case (came as an international student and working since 10 months) will be eligible for a CEC PR in couple of months now. Our main concerns is:
  • Since we have been living together, should we apply under common law or individually?
  • Advantages/Disadvantages in applying under common law?
  • Does it effect the processing time?
  • Any good CIC members or lawyers near Mississauga/Brampton area?

Thank you in advance and any help on this forum is greatly appreciated.
Shezy. 8)

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
  • shezy said:
    Hey guys,

I became a member of this forum long back however I am (was) not an active member. I came here as an international student from Hyderabad - India and finished my studies. I now, work in a software company in Downtown and finished my 8 months of work experience. My GF who has a similar case (came as an international student and working since 10 months) will be eligible for a CEC PR in couple of months now. Our main concerns is:
    • Since we have been living together, should we apply under common law or individually?

If you were living together you need to declare it, thus it is not a question but a requirement to apply as common law.

See above. Anyhow, there is no disadvantages except of the need to provide the supporting documentation.

It will not affect the processing time

You do not need a lawyer for CEC application as it fairly simple. If you think you need one i would choose based on their success level/name/reference rather than location. There are many good offices - for example David Cohen who is hosting this forum.
shezy said:
Shezy. 8)
Hi there, see the replies in the body of your question

bickyii

Nov 1, 2011
Toronto, ON
shezy said:
Hey guys,

Shezy. 8)
If its just 2 months difference I would suggest to apply individually. To declare common law will be more messy though.
Advantage to apply under Common Law is when one person is working & other is not full eligible or so..
If you both are eligible under CEC, apply individually.
& you don't need to waste your money on lawyers, its damn easy to apply individual CEC application. Just a bit of home work and you are good to go.

shezy

Mar 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you guys, I really appreciate all this... :)

Planning on applying under CEC individually... Do we need to thru CIC member or something or you guys suggest we do it ourselves? CIC member is asking anywhere between $1500 to $2000...

Our case is fairly simple... our job is legit and legal.. we both come under NOC list and we pay our taxes (all of it).. nothing is wrong or illeagel in our case..

Thanks again for all your time and advice.
Shezy.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sashali is correct, it is not an "option" to apply as common-law or not - you either are or you aren't. If you ARE common-law, you need to apply as common-law. Anything else would be misrepresentation.

And there's nothing particularly "messy" about it. There's a little extra paperwork; this is true even if you are married. But if you haven't done so already, get a joint bank account, a lease with both names on it, a utility bill with both names on it... Start collecting any kind of documentation that might show you sharing a residence for at least one year.

The advantage is you only need to submit one (joint) application. However, if you both qualify, you can each submit an application as a principal applicant (You would still have to apply as common-law) - It's allowed to have more than one application in processing.

bickyii

Nov 1, 2011
Toronto, ON
shezy said:
thank you guys, I really appreciate all this... :)

Planning on applying under CEC individually... Do we need to thru CIC member or something or you guys suggest we do it ourselves? CIC member is asking anywhere between $1500 to $2000...

Our case is fairly simple... our job is legit and legal.. we both come under NOC list and we pay our taxes (all of it).. nothing is wrong or illeagel in our case..

Thanks again for all your time and advice.
Shezy.
that's perfect enough, me and my all friends working in software development applied our files ourselves and didn't pay even a single penny to anyone. Your case sounds perfect.

you can think about what jes_ON suggested, but my thinking is why deal with extra bothering if your everything is straight forward. By applying as common Law, all you will save is one IELTS exam fee, some postal expenses & 2-3 less documents.

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
shezy said:
Hey guys,

partner
Shezy. 8)

1.No there will be no advantage and disadvantages of applying with common law..
2. Based on current trend answer is NO
3.NO idea

spookyb

Mar 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Feb-2013
AOR Received.
22-Mar-2013
Med's Request
06-Dec-2013
Med's Done....
16-Dec-2013
Passport Req..
24-Mar-2014
VISA ISSUED...
31-Mar-2014
LANDED..........
10-Apr-2014
While you may apply individually and not declare your common law union, here is where things get tricky. Let's say one of you gets PR and the other does not (for whatever reason). Now the one who is a PR wants to sponsor the other. You will have to show documents for how long you have been together. If it then comes out that you were common law when you had applied individually, you could be cited for misrepresentation, and would never be able to sponsor the other person.

I would therefore recommend that you be truthful, send one application, and declare the common law status.

bickyii

Nov 1, 2011
Toronto, ON
spookyb said:
While you may apply individually and not declare your common law union, here is where things get tricky. Let's say one of you gets PR and the other does not (for whatever reason). Now the one who is a PR wants to sponsor the other. You will have to show documents for how long you have been together. If it then comes out that you were common law when you had applied individually, you could be cited for misrepresentation, and would never be able to sponsor the other person.

I would therefore recommend that you be truthful, send one application, and declare the common law status.
we are living 3 persons together from almost 3 years & all applied in CEC at same time individually..
We are not Common law partners at all.. :p

shezy

Mar 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank for the feedback guys...

@ bickyii... I working in a software company but I am not a developer.... I work as a Technical Support Analyst (it comes under NOC)... you still think it is a straight forward case and I should apply on my own without wasting money ? Can I PM you to ask you few more questions if you dont mind?

thanks in advance.

bickyii

Nov 1, 2011
Toronto, ON
shezy said:
thank for the feedback guys...

@ bickyii... I working in a software company but I am not a developer.... I work as a Technical Support Analyst (it comes under NOC)... you still think it is a straight forward case and I should apply on my own without wasting money ? Can I PM you to ask you few more questions if you dont mind?

thanks in advance.
yeah sure, pm me, I will be more than happy to help..

shezy

Mar 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it says you are not allowed to send PM's... can you give me your personal id pls?

shezy

Mar 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ bickyii

Bro please check your personal email. I sent you an email as I am not allowed to send here...

Thanks
Shezy.