+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New travel exemption for immediate family member not being honoured or implemented by OUTCAN visa offices

ZOOZ

Star Member
Apr 10, 2020
Category........
Other
Ladies and gentlemen,
Good news! This morning I got 3 emails from CIC asking (wife’s account) to login and read the letters.

The first letter was regarding the biometrics and how long it’s valid for. My wife did a bio last year for a TRV so no bio required. The letter is generic. So, if you get that biometrics info letter it’s a good sign that they are working on your application. Note: my wife is from Asia and I have been dealing with the VO in her country. After emailing my MP and CCing the CIC Minister, DPM and the VO Ambassador. It looks like her application was processed in Kingston Jamaica. The biometrics letter had kingston VO’s address at the bottom. The asshats in Asian VOs are fired! Lol

The second letter was for PPR and the third letter was the authorization letter to travel to Canada. Wife will be submitting her passport to her local VFS as soon as they open on Monday AM.

Keep sharing your stories and situations so others can be helped.

Happy days! Good luck to all my friends!
Great news! Congrats!

so I have so far only received the biometrics letter and the letter of authorization to travel. No decision yet on visa but am very hopeful. Letter of authorization arrived two days after visa app was submitted.

Gam14

Mar 18, 2020
@CDNsoldier may have gotten lucky. I don’t think it is likely that every spouse who is process of sponsorship will get TRV. TRV is still a temporary document. The wife having longterm employment with decent pay and travel history likely helped. A the fact that her spouse is in the armed forces may also help. Everyone should definitely try but the announcement was that families could be reunited. They should have stressed that families still needed to have or to qualify for a TRV to enter.
This was my concern and therefore didn't apply. We have had one TRV rejected due to suspect he wouldn't leave Canada. This was when we were engaged. Nothing else has changed expect we are married now, so I assume they will suspect even more that he won't leave, although that is the goal with our Spousal Sponsership Outland Application. I am thinking we still don't qualify as the only change is marriage. What is your opinion as a senior member?

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
@CDNsoldier may have gotten lucky. I don’t think it is likely that every spouse who is process of sponsorship will get TRV. TRV is still a temporary document. The wife having longterm employment with decent pay and travel history likely helped. A the fact that her spouse is in the armed forces may also help. Everyone should definitely try but the announcement was that families could be reunited. They should have stressed that families still needed to have or to qualify for a TRV to enter.
Perhaps.... My employment is "essential" and we are still in the middle of a "global pandemic".

I believe I did read somewhere (officially) that you still have to meet ALL "admissibility criterias" the travel exemption doesn't preclude the applicant from normal TRV screening processes.

I also don't believe that having an "AOR" has any influence on the application. Form the consciences of this platform, my conclusion was that "Spousal TRV" approvals are next to nill. Why would it change now? This is strictly my opinion.

I hope everyone the best of luck.

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
If she does enter Canada her application would remain Outland but you should update CIC that her adress Has changed and she is now in Canada. Up to you whether you apply for TRV. You will need to look at potential flight ly availability.
^This

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
Great news! Congrats!

so I have so far only received the biometrics letter and the letter of authorization to travel. No decision yet on visa but am very hopeful. Letter of authorization arrived two days after visa app was submitted.
This is hopeful news. All the best!

Last edited:

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
@CDNsoldier
Thank you so much for your invaluable input.
Few more things...did you apply online on her behalf from your GCkey account?
After I filled out the trv questionnaire, one of the proofs they required were last 4 month bank statements showing said funds- did you have that too? And so you had to upload copies of these online?
Did you upload wife's bank statements too, or just her letter of employment?

Sorry for so many questions.
Details about your application status

When we get your application, there are a series of steps it may go through before we make a decision. Use the following table to find out the current status of each application step.

Review of eligibility Help - Review of eligibility
◦We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.

Review of medical results Help - Review of medical results
◦You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes.

Review of additional documents Help - Review of additional documents
◦We do not need additional documents.

Interview Help - Interview
◦You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.

Biometrics Help - Biometrics
◦We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.

Background check Help - Background check
◦We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.

Final decision Help - Final decision
◦Your application was approved. You need to send us your valid passport to finalize your application. Check your messages below for details.

Uploaded Filename: imm5257e Validated.pdf
Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made Outside of Canada (IMM5257) (required)

Supporting Documents
Provided

Uploaded Filename: Travel History.pdf (Passport pages with EN/EX stamps and visas)
Uploaded Filename: Passport 1st page.pdf
Uploaded Filename: Letter of Invitation.pdf
Uploaded Filename: Bank statement.pdf (TRV applicants proof of funds)
Uploaded Filename: IMG_3406.jpg
Uploaded Filename: Air Ticket.pdf Purpose of Travel - Other (required) Instructions - Document: Purpose of Travel - Other
Uploaded Filename: imm5645e.pdf Family Information (IMM5645) (required) Instructions - Document: Family Information (IMM5645)
Uploaded Filename: Marriage Cert..pdf Proof of Relationship (required) Instructions - Document: Proof of Relationship
Uploaded Filename: imm5475e.pdf Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual (IMM5475)
Uploaded Filename: Cover Letter.pdf

Notice in the application details, some of the things are still in progress even though a decision was already made? Always order GCMS! IMO, the application details are misleading and not very helpful. It requires way more patience, but GCMS notes are the way to go.

I mentioned in the cover letter that I have more documents like health/life insurance (purchased but refundable before commencement and coveres COVID), my bank/pay statements, thousands of our pics... but I was only able to upload the documents above and that we are ready to provide to them anything they request. Online applications only allow you to upload limited documents and limited size.

Alex_1

Feb 29, 2016
Right now the gist is and this is what i feel is happening when i look at the posts here in general:
1) We are applying for TRV as per new rules which says spouse of PR/citizen is exempt (trip more than 15 days, applied with PR card and marriage certificate copy)
2) We are getting an email in myCIC account with the following wording "Even though you do not meet an exemption criterion and/or your travel has not been deemed non-discretionary, your application will now be put on hold until after the travel restriction pause has been lifted."

All who are facing this situation - Can you please reply on this post to see how many of us we are in the same boat?
Exact same position!!!!! Have application for spouse PR then applied for TRV after it came on official site that SPOUSE TRAVEL WILL BE ELIGIBLE for travel. I think they don't send any memos internally just post it on website :( . And as far as biometrics are concerned, the country my spouse is in have all the centres closed without any ETR. It looks like they just want to get more money and put applications on hold and ill planned (incompetent) decision. Hopefully they will learn from our feedback and stramline the process. And I personally I don't see any point getting MP involved and waste their valuable time as we won't be able to give biometrics as all centers are closed hope they can collect it at entry points. best of luck all. Keep posted!!

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
Exact same position!!!!! Have application for spouse PR then applied for TRV after it came on official site that SPOUSE TRAVEL WILL BE ELIGIBLE for travel. I think they don't send any memos internally just post it on website :( . And as far as biometrics are concerned, the country my spouse is in have all the centres closed without any ETR. It looks like they just want to get more money and put applications on hold and ill planned (incompetent) decision. Hopefully they will learn from our feedback and stramline the process. And I personally I don't see any point getting MP involved and waste their valuable time as we won't be able to give biometrics as all centers are closed hope they can collect it at entry points. best of luck all. Keep posted!!
Agreed. Being able to provide biometrics and finding flights should definitely be considered before applying.

prateek9911

Jan 30, 2020
Details about your application status

When we get your application, there are a series of steps it may go through before we make a decision. Use the following table to find out the current status of each application step.

Review of eligibility Help - Review of eligibility
◦We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.

Review of medical results Help - Review of medical results
◦You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes.

Review of additional documents Help - Review of additional documents
◦We do not need additional documents.

Interview Help - Interview
◦You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.

Biometrics Help - Biometrics
◦We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.

Background check Help - Background check
◦We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.

Final decision Help - Final decision
◦Your application was approved. You need to send us your valid passport to finalize your application. Check your messages below for details.

Uploaded Filename: imm5257e Validated.pdf
Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made Outside of Canada (IMM5257) (required)

Supporting Documents
Provided

Uploaded Filename: Travel History.pdf (Passport pages with EN/EX stamps and visas)
Uploaded Filename: Passport 1st page.pdf
Uploaded Filename: Letter of Invitation.pdf
Uploaded Filename: Bank statement.pdf (TRV applicants proof of funds)
Uploaded Filename: IMG_3406.jpg
Uploaded Filename: Air Ticket.pdf Purpose of Travel - Other (required) Instructions - Document: Purpose of Travel - Other
Uploaded Filename: imm5645e.pdf Family Information (IMM5645) (required) Instructions - Document: Family Information (IMM5645)
Uploaded Filename: Marriage Cert..pdf Proof of Relationship (required) Instructions - Document: Proof of Relationship
Uploaded Filename: imm5475e.pdf Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual (IMM5475)
Uploaded Filename: Cover Letter.pdf

Notice in the application details, some of the things are still in progress even though a decision was already made? Always order GCMS! IMO, the application details are misleading and not very helpful. It requires way more patience, but GCMS notes are the way to go.

I mentioned in the cover letter that I have more documents like health/life insurance (purchased but refundable before commencement and coveres COVID), my bank/pay statements, thousands of our pics... but I was only able to upload the documents above and that we are ready to provide to them anything they request. Online applications only allow you to upload limited documents and limited size.
Hi did you get a separate box to upload marriage certificate?. I didnt get one so i had to merge it with the coverletter but i did mention about it in the letter itself as a list of enclosures.

kharthik24

Star Member
Jun 15, 2020
Toronto
What do you put as the purpose of travel? Do you just say that you and your spouse want to be together? Also, if you spouse has no prior travel history will this still be approved because I am a citizen and she is in India? Even in these tourist application with the exemption change, are they still looking to see that she will go back to India?

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
@CDNsoldier thank you again as Im sure its of great help to anybody in our situation.
Before I let you go, has your spouse ever travelled to USA/Canada,Australia, New Zealand, UK...those English type visa countries...EU? Or strictly Asian countries...

Again, congrats!

Last edited: