+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New to the Canadian Education System in Grade 12

chaeunwoo

Apr 21, 2023
Hi all, I've just moved back to Canada after living a good 6 years in Bahrain, attending a British school.
I have never attended school in Canada and now, all of a sudden, I've been thrusted into Grade 12 starting this coming Fall. The anxiety is killing me since this year is personally make or break for me. I'm worried the change is too big for me to adjust to quick enough.
You can slack all year long in a British school but if you work your ass off in the finals season (April/May) you can still come out with an A*. I've been told this is not quite the case in Canadian high schools. I also took a course in Summer School (Data Management) to acclimatize myself to the system, get a hang of how things work. I was awarded a measly 80% for my final grade and the course was too condensed and fast paced for a new student, only making my anxiety worse.
I've been told that the Canadian education system is comparatively easy, and while I've noticed it being true (the content,tests are very straightforward), I'm not really sure of how to take advantage of it.
I hope to land an average of around ~91% to be able to get into of the universities I've shortlisted.
If the people on here could tell me how to boost my grade, get into different extra curricular, make a mark in general, I'd really really appreciate it.
Here's a few, more specific things I'd like to know about:- -What is weightage? How does it work? How does it affect one's grade?
  • Are extra curriculars really worth it? How do you sign up for them? I myself am a soccer player and wouldn't mind playing for the school team but obviously only if it's worth it; my number one priority this year is, you guessed it, my grades.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all, I've just moved back to Canada after living a good 6 years in Bahrain, attending a British school.
I have never attended school in Canada and now, all of a sudden, I've been thrusted into Grade 12 starting this coming Fall. The anxiety is killing me since this year is personally make or break for me. I'm worried the change is too big for me to adjust to quick enough.
You can slack all year long in a British school but if you work your ass off in the finals season (April/May) you can still come out with an A*. I've been told this is not quite the case in Canadian high schools. I also took a course in Summer School (Data Management) to acclimatize myself to the system, get a hang of how things work. I was awarded a measly 80% for my final grade and the course was too condensed and fast paced for a new student, only making my anxiety worse.
I've been told that the Canadian education system is comparatively easy, and while I've noticed it being true (the content,tests are very straightforward), I'm not really sure of how to take advantage of it.
I hope to land an average of around ~91% to be able to get into of the universities I've shortlisted.
If the people on here could tell me how to boost my grade, get into different extra curricular, make a mark in general, I'd really really appreciate it.
Here's a few, more specific things I'd like to know about:- -What is weightage? How does it work? How does it affect one's grade?
  • Are extra curriculars really worth it? How do you sign up for them? I myself am a soccer player and wouldn't mind playing for the school team but obviously only if it's worth it; my number one priority this year is, you guessed it, my grades.
Every school and teacher is different so nobody will be able to give you advice. Simple advice is do well on tests and submit assignments on time. Extracurricular s do help for getting into some schools and to get things like scholarships. Doing something
athletic is also just a good idea and good stress relief. Sure any adult will tell you that high school grades seem extremely important at that age but looking back it wasn’t that important. Many end up successful even if they didn’t do well in high school.

chaeunwoo

Apr 21, 2023
You can slack all year long in a British school but if you work your ass off in the finals season (April/May) you can still come out with an A*. I've been told this is not quite the case in Canadian high schools. I also took a course in Summer School (Data Management) to acclimatize myself to the system, get a hang of how things work. I was awarded a measly 80% for my final grade and the course was too condensed and fast paced for a new student, only making my https://routerlogin.uno/ anxiety worse.
I got this,..