Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mims2000 said:
hi
i just want to ask, my friend is a cook in a restaurant and his work permit is expiring in nov 3., will he be affected with the new lmia rule if the employer wants to extend him,
yes

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
nettoyant said:
Please, read the link carefully: http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/index.shtml.

Citizens of countries that have bilateral agreements with Canada (mostly developed countries) will be able to apply for an OWP. The rest of people (who are mostly from developing countries) will have a regular WP, tied to a employer, and which requires a LMIA (the new LMO), the same as TODAY except that the LMIA fee is $1,000 (the LMO fee was $275).
Yes, please do read, it doesn't say that at all. Also read
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/new_measures_work.asp

New rules for TFWs requiring an LMIA apply to anyone regardless of country of citizenship.

Programs that were previously LMO-exempt (now LMIA-exempt) are just now given a new name, International Mobility Program. This includes the Post-Graduate Work Permit program (open work permits), REGARDLESS of country of origin, IEC - youth work exchange programs (open work permits), occupations covered by NAFTA or other trade agreement... Just a new name for LMO-exempt.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
And as I understand, the LMIA granting will be determined by the unemployment rate (has to be under 6%). Hmmm. This is going to be interesting as the numbers can change significantly from month to month and by season. So if an employer applies and the rate is acceptable at that time, if it takes some months to process, that rate could increase and there goes the application and $1,000 fee!!!! I wonder if the % would be locked in as of date of application being received???
Also, if employees from developed counties can get Open Work Permits, why would an employer ever want to pay $1,000 for an LMIA for a closed permit? This is all fresh to me so probably I haven't grasped the whole idea. Any thoughts?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Pippin said:
Also, if employees from developed counties can get Open Work Permits,
Myth. It's a whole lot more complicated than that.

why would an employer ever want to pay $1,000 for an LMIA for a closed permit?

They have a highly skilled and valued employee that would be difficult to replace, who does not meet any of the requirements for obtaining an open work permit....

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
What about LMOs that were received but not yet processed when the moratorium was invoked? Would they be completed according to the rules in effect on the date of submission?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Pippin said:
What about LMOs that were received but not yet processed when the moratorium was invoked? Would they be completed according to the rules in effect on the date of submission?
Not sure what you mean - the LMO was approved but the work permit not processed? Or the application for the LMO received but not processed?

In any case - info on the end of the moratorium is here -
http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/lmo_ref/index.shtml

dunj

Star Member
Jun 20, 2014
Can you please tell me,.. what is confusing me is the reduction in the period that a low-wage temporary foreign worker will be allowed to remain in Canada (from 4 years to 2 years). What about TFW currently here? When their 2 year - work permit expires, can they apply for extension? Or will theyhave to leave the country? :'(

dunj

Star Member
Jun 20, 2014
dunj said:
Can you please tell me,.. what is confusing me is the reduction in the period that a low-wage temporary foreign worker will be allowed to remain in Canada (from 4 years to 2 years). What about TFW currently here? When their 2 year - work permit expires, can they apply for extension? Or will theyhave to leave the country? :'(
so obviously is not known yet... : ''The maximum duration a temporary foreign worker can work in Canada is being reduced from the current four years. An official said the new limit will probably be two years, but a decision is not final. The duration of work permits is being reduced to one year from two years, requiring employers to reapply after the first year.'' (quote from The Globe And Mail). The thing is, next year, when my work permit expires, I will have exactly 3 years of work experience to apply for AINP, but it would be necessary for me to extend my work permit so I could work while waiting for the nomination.,, :-\

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
jes_ON said:
Not sure what you mean - the LMO was approved but the work permit not processed? Or the application for the LMO received but not processed?

In any case - info on the end of the moratorium is here -
http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/lmo_ref/index.shtml
The LMO for a managing supervisor (not food services) position was submitted shortly before moratorium. As far as I know, it would not have had time to be processed before the moratorium. Any ideas what rules it would fall under? Thanks

biz

Dec 22, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
EE
Passport Req..
10-06-2016
LANDED..........
30-06-2016
Hi guys
Just worried, does the new TFW program will affect the current provincial nomination stream especially AINP for those applicants who haven't sent their application yet?

nettoyant

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
biz said:
Hi guys
Just worried, does the new TFW program will affect the current provincial nomination stream especially AINP for those applicants who haven't sent their application yet?
I think any answer right now will be more of guess work than anything else. According to the Globe and Mail, Alberta's government is not very happy with TFW changes: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/alberta-decries-changes-to-foreign-worker-program/article19281687/

We have to wait and see.

rgermin

Feb 21, 2014
Hi guys. I'm a bit worried about this. My work permit is due to expire in April 2015 which makes me 2 years temporarily working in Canada as NOC B. Now that they changed it to 2 years maximum, has anyone read anything if a person can apply again for another 2 years of working if he cannot apply for PR. Or does it mean i can only work now until April 2015?marking my 2 years.

Thanks for any comments and suggestions.