+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New rules for LMIA exempt job offers

avishekd2010

Dec 5, 2016
I need help on the below new rules -

As of November 19, candidates with qualifying job offers will be awarded either 200 or 50 points, depending on the position. Moreover, certain work permit holders may be awarded points for their job offer even if they have not obtained a LMIA (note: LMIA holders will also continue to be awarded points for a job offer).

In addition to LMIA holders, the new regulations also allow the following individuals to be awarded points for a qualifying job offer:

Individuals with a work permit issued under an international agreement, such as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
Individuals with a work permit issued under the ‘significant benefits to Canada’ criteria, such as Intra-Company Transfers.
In both above cases, the worker must have been working in Canada for at least one year and the job offer must be made by the same employer named on the work permit.

Finally, the job offer duration requirement has also changed from ‘indeterminate’ to at least one year in duration.

I am working in Canada from Feb 2014 on a work permit which is exempt from LMIA and have a extended valid job offer from the same employer (IBM) till Feb 2018.
Please let me know whether I am eligible for the extra 50 points.

Should I choose "Yes" to the below question in the express entry profile form ?
Does Avishek Das have a job offer in Canada?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Is your employers name on your visa?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Then you likely qualify for the additional 50 points.

The job letter you get from your current employer basically needs to say "we will continue to employ xxx for the foreseeable future extending at least past 1 year from the date PR is granted" etc.

avishekd2010

Dec 5, 2016
Thanks a lot for you reply.
The job offer letter that I have simply states the end date of the contract, which is Feb 2018. Its an extension of the current contract under which currently I am working.I think its impossible for anyone to fathom when PR will be granted, and as such I think my employers wont be providing me any amended job offer stating that it will be valid for 1 year past the date when PR will be approved.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
avishekd2010 said:
The job offer letter that I have simply states the end date of the contract, which is Feb 2018. Its an extension of the current contract under which currently I am working.I think its impossible for anyone to fathom when PR will be granted, and as such I think my employers wont be providing me any amended job offer stating that it will be valid for 1 year past the date when PR will be approved.
That's something you would need to figure out in order to claim those 50 points as the requirements are

You have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:

are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit yes
have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer and yes
have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa. ?

Cheers :)

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
avishekd2010 said:
That can cause misrepresentation if you get ITA and cant provide job offer letter.