Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

I have a family member who will be soon getting his Canadian PR. He plans to settle down in the province of Ontario. I believe after the initial 3 months, he will be eligible for OHIP card, that will cover his hospital and other doctor visit bills, However how does one get a prescrption insurance.

Assuming, that he is not able to get a job right away and is not able to get Prescription insurance from his employer, how does he get insurance to cover his pharmacy bills. My family member is a Type 1 diabetic and he on a very often basis needs insulin supplies and I believe the full costs of these drugs can be very high.

My family member is in the age group of 25-35 and is very healthy in general. he is a non smoker and just uses Insulin supplies.

Could anyone pleas advise.

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
singh84a said:
Hello All,

I have a family member who will be soon getting his Canadian PR. He plans to settle down in the province of Ontario. I believe after the initial 3 months, he will be eligible for OHIP card, that will cover his hospital and other doctor visit bills, However how does one get a prescrption insurance.

Assuming, that he is not able to get a job right away and is not able to get Prescription insurance from his employer, how does he get insurance to cover his pharmacy bills. My family member is a Type 1 diabetic and he on a very often basis needs insulin supplies and I believe the full costs of these drugs can be very high.

My family member is in the age group of 25-35 and is very healthy in general. he is a non smoker and just uses Insulin supplies.

Could anyone pleas advise.

Thanks
I think that the answer is that he has to pay for the prescription drugs himself. Why would an insurance company offer him a policy that's going to 100% guaranteed leave them with a loss? It's a known pre-existing condition with a high overhead.

singh84a

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well There are insurances being offered by Manulife and Sunlife for diabetic patients. Therefore, I would have liked if ur presented some facts.

Just and FYI - 20% of Canadians are diabetic, so you might want to reconsider your VIP membership. And thoe 20% have insurance.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
singh84a said:
Well There are insurances being offered by Manulife and Sunlife for diabetic patients. Therefore, I would have liked if ur presented some facts.

Just and FYI - 20% of Canadians are diabetic, so you might want to reconsider your VIP membership. And thoe 20% have insurance.
Your question asks about a new PR into Canada, not about existing residents who already have a degree of provincial health cover. Let us all know when you find such an insurance policy...

singh84a

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well the the NEW PR will have health card in 3 months after landing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
singh84a said:

I somewhat agree with Zardoz.

Everyone I know who has additional insurance coverage (i.e. on top of OHIP) for pre-exisiting conditions has obtained this insurance through a workplace plan where the insurance cannot be denied due to having a pre-exisiting condition. If you are trying to get the insurance on your own (i.e. not through a company plan), then the insurance company will assess pre-exisiting conditions and do one of the following: deny coverage completely, deny coverage of pre-existing conditions, or set the premiums so high that it makes more sense just to cover the prescription medication for existing conditions out of your own pocket.

singh84a

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
I somewhat agree with Zardoz.

Everyone I know who has additional insurance coverage (i.e. on top of OHIP) for pre-exisiting conditions has obtained this insurance through a workplace plan where the insurance cannot be denied due to having a pre-exisiting condition. If you are trying to get the insurance on your own (i.e. not through a company plan), then the insurance company will assess pre-exisiting conditions and do one of the following: deny coverage completely, deny coverage of pre-existing conditions, or set the premiums so high that it makes more sense just to cover the prescription medication for existing conditions out of your own pocket.
Well I still stand by my post. The government of Ontario now themselves cover Diabetes and its supplies, including Type 1 (Insulin pumps and other supplies) just by having OHIP and being eligible for the ADP.

This may help! http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/adp/publications/insulin.aspx

http://www.ontario.ca/page/diabetes-education-program#section-4

That means, I may not reach out to Manulife or sunlife for any additonal insurance.

THanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I found this link: https://www.diabetes.ca/getmedia/4873c9cc-1105-4c11-9e90-230ea52a9c60/ontario-financial-assistance-programs.pdf.aspx for financial assistance with diabetes in Ontario. Most of the programs are only for the elderly or low income and in most cases you aren't classified as low income until you've filed taxes at least once. I saw one program in there called MFHP that does not seem to be restricted to those groups and helps pay for glucose meter, strips and lancets. Your relative is also allowed to bring up to 3 months worth of prescription medication with him if that helps. It just had to be originally packed.

singh84a

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
I found this link: https://www.diabetes.ca/getmedia/4873c9cc-1105-4c11-9e90-230ea52a9c60/ontario-financial-assistance-programs.pdf.aspx for financial assistance with diabetes in Ontario. Most of the programs are only for the elderly or low income and in most cases you aren't classified as low income until you've filed taxes at least once. I saw one program in there called MFHP that does not seem to be restricted to those groups and helps pay for glucose meter, strips and lancets. Your relative is also allowed to bring up to 3 months worth of prescription medication with him if that helps. It just had to be originally packed.
That looks like a seperate program for monitoring.

The one i'm refering is for long term disability supplies helps. I believe the doctor needs to judge whether the person falls under ethe category you posted or ADP ( the one I posted).

ANy inputs ?

singh84a

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also, if you look at the post you mentioned, the program ADP is listed at the bottom of that link.

The one you mentioned talks about generic Diabetes, whereas the one I'm referring is to specifically for Type 1 diabetes.

So if the person is type 1, he should fall under the ADP program

t