+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Law of Canadian Citizenship

nimmiboy

Apr 22, 2005
Riyadh - KSA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As of April 17, 2009, Canada's new citizenship law has undergone two major changes. Firstly, it has retroactively restored Canadian citizenship to many who had lost it due to obscure and outdated provisions in past legislation. Secondly, it protects the value of Canadian citizenship for the future by limiting citizenship by descent. Canadian Citizenship is now restored to anyone born in Canada or who became a Canadian citizen on or after January 1, 1947 (when the Citizenship Act was created), and then lost their citizenship.

Some of the affected individuals who will have their Canadian citizenship reinstated are children who were born abroad to Canadian parents; or they are children born in Canada but whose parents later became citizens of another country. Also receiving citizenship under the new law are foreign-born family members of Second World War veterans, who were granted citizenship when they moved to Canada after the war, but later lost it because they were not aware that it subsequently needed to be reaffirmed.
The government's intent of the second part of the new law is to protect the value of Canadian citizenship for the future by limiting citizenship by descent.آ The implications for Canadians who were born abroad are that, if their children were born outside Canada, Canadian citizenship will not automatically be granted to these children. There are approximately 2.7 million Canadians currently living abroad who may be affected.

"This important change will ensure that future generations of Canadians have a real connection to this country and the remarkable benefits of Canadian citizenship," stated Rudyard Griffiths, author of Who We Are: A Citizen's Manifesto.

Exceptions will be made for children of parents who are working abroad with the Canadian Armed Forces or for the federal or provincial governments.

Regards

Shanda9

Sep 12, 2016
im having a really hard time knowing if my unborn children will be able to be canadian if born outside of Canada. i was born in 1982 to a canadian father and spanish mother in singapore. since 1986 i have lived in Canada. i am currently living in belfast with my husband and will hopefully be moving to canada next year. if i have a child right now here in the UK will they not be automaically canadian??? someone help, the rules are very confusing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Shanda9 said:
im having a really hard time knowing if my unborn children will be able to be canadian if born outside of Canada. i was born in 1982 to a canadian father and spanish mother in singapore. since 1986 i have lived in Canada. i am currently living in belfast with my husband and will hopefully be moving to canada next year. if i have a child right now here in the UK will they not be automaically canadian??? someone help, the rules are very confusing.
Since you were born outside of Canada - your child is second generation abroad and will not be a citizen. You will have to sponsor your child for permanent residency.