+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New immigrant in Canada need to work

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
job_seeker is right. It isn't always easy to get a job, especially when you are expecting your prospective employer to do some work for you. It's not hassle free for the employer to hire you. He has to advertise the job for a certain length of time to prove that he could not find any qualified candidates. He needs to be offering market wage for the job. If those two requirements are in order, he can apply for a labour market opinion (LMO) which will allow him to hire a foreigner. It's quite common that employers are denied LMO's but if he gets it, then you can apply for your work permit. Getting the LMO can easily take several weeks and finding the employer who will help you by applying for your LMO will likely take several weeks too.

If you are out of cash right now, you could consider trying to find an employer in the US who will let you work remotely if you can think of any such jobs that you might qualify for. If not, I don't see that you have any choice but to go back to the US, find a job there and visit your girlfriend when you can. You can marry her and start sponsorship but keep a long distance relationship until you are approved for PR.

warmachine100

Dec 30, 2009
Hy all
Thought I would stoke the fire as its been quiet as of late!

Our move to Canada was never meant to be temporary but permanent, just so anybody who thinks that temporary foreign worker means temporary, it does not. What it means is temporary until your papers have been processed and your PR is in the works. Which is what we were hoping to achieve.

Wifey and me came to Calgary in January 2008 after I was sponsored for an engineering job. 7 weeks later I got laid off. 3 months later after going all through HRSDC, I got a company to get an LMO with my name attached. 3 months later I got laid off.

After another 3 months of waiting for HRSC to get their act together I managed to get into another company with an LMO. One year and 3 days later, I got laid off.

After applying for over 36 jobs, I have all but thrown in the towel. The replies I did receive back usually had one thing in common. We don’t have an LMO. And we all know, no LMO - no job, at least for us foreign workers anyway.

In the last seven days I have been offered two jobs, one paying $15 p/h and one paying
$27 p/h. I made the appointment to see the HR manager who offered me $15 p/h to run a laser machine cutting metal components. I was in heaven - a job at last. Turns out his LMO is just about to expire and HRSDC are not renewing. So, he now has to let his foreign workers go once that happens and he tells me that he had over 1500 applications, mostly from foreigners. He interviewed a handful of Canadians but they obviously decided the jobs were not good enough and did not go back for interviews.
So now he has only a handful of people working for him in this huge factory which I was privvy to walk round during my interview.

My second job offer was from a company in Lloydminster. $27 an hour. Fantastic, but we would have to relocate. Not a problem. But one thing is standing between me and that job. HRSDC.

Once again the brain dead dickheads are refusing to issue a new LMO so foreign workers can have some form of life here. HRSDC have refused this company 3 LMOs and the company boss is having to let his workers go because of this stupidity. This factory is not as big as the previous one, in fact a lot smaller - but will have to shut down operations if they cannot find people to work there.

His words to me on the phone were, “I have foreign workers who are willing to work and can work, and I have Canadian workers who don’t want the work”. Perhaps I’m missing the big picture here, but surely if you can fill a position with a worker, be it foreign or Canadian and keep the factory operational, then surely this is better for everybody?

Alberta it seems is the only province that seems to be causing grief to so many people, Newfoundland, B.C. and other provinces are issuing LMOs as normal when the criteria has been met. Seems the plonkers at HRSDC are saying NO LMO before they even read the application.

So then, I assume the villains here are those dictators or should I say dickheads at HRSDC.
Meanwhile, I sit here with thumb up my ass hoping this other company will get a positive result with the Immigration minister.

If you have no job - I sypathise with you, you wont get any from HRSDC thats for sure.

I forgot to mention, HRSDC still want proof you are looking for work!!!!!!! :mad:

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you say our, I assume you have a spouse. It is possible that if your spouse on an open work permit, if doing a skilled job could have an easier time getting an LMO and changing the work permit to a regular one in which case you could get the spousal open permit. I know a couple who did that because the guy was having job problems while the woman was not. Him getting an open work permit allowed him to find another job a lot more easily.

warmachine100

Dec 30, 2009
Hy all.

Thought some of you might want to know that HRSDC are issuing LMOs for only six months at a time. And they are being very reluctant to do that now. My work permit which I was lucky to get last year is good until this November but is also site specific. And being laid off means its not worth the paper its written on. Look like its back to jolly old UK in November unless I can get HRSDC to cough up another LMO. ???

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
warmachine100 said:
Hy all.

Thought some of you might want to know that HRSDC are issuing LMOs for only six months at a time. And they are being very reluctant to do that now. My work permit which I was lucky to get last year is good until this November but is also site specific. And being laid off means its not worth the paper its written on. Look like its back to jolly old UK in November unless I can get HRSDC to cough up another LMO. ???
LMO duration of 6 months started May of last year. All LMOs issued before May 2009 with duration longer than 6 months had expiry of November 2009. You can actually start looking for an employer who's willing to submit an LMO for you, and having the Canadian experience that you have now helps. Do the search 4-5 months before your work permit expires because advertising and LMO application (employer's end) plus your WP application would probably take about 3-4 months.