+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nervous to cross the border, looking for advice

MissHoney

Apr 24, 2024
Hi all,

I (American) will be crossing the border through Niagara in June with 2 of my family members to see my fiance (Canadian) and get married in August. My family members will be staying for a week in which they will be doing tourist type stuff, and I want to stay for the full time I'm allowed by border control. We do want to do inland sponsorship after we get married and apply to extend my visitor status, but I want to do this right so that sponsorship goes smoothly and we can truly begin our life together.

My main concerns are: I will not have a job because I am resigning to travel, I don't own my own property as I live with my parents, so I'm worried the border officers will claim that I don't have enough ties back home. I'm also worried that my wedding dress being in the car is going to be a red flag for the officers.

I have savings in my American bank accounts that I am leaving there, I have my student loans I am still paying off in the states, and I have family that I love dearly who I do want to come back and visit.

What would be my best course of action to prove that I don't want to stay illegally? I know that it is best to just be honest with them, which of course I'm going to do, but I'm having some major anxiety about being turned away at the border. Would having a refundable return ticket help?