+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Urgent Help - PGWP Extension Special Measure Traveling outside Canada

Aug 13, 2023
Hello All,

My current PGWP work permit is expiring Dec 8, 2023. I am currently in India and plan to get back to Canada on Nov 25, 2023.

I want to apply for a PGWP Extension but:

1) Not sure if I can do it from India - for an "Inside Canada Online Application "since I am in India currently?
2) Is it a good idea to do it from Canada when I return back on November 25, 2023 which leaves me a about 13 days before my current work permit expires. (Asking this because they mention that you should apply for a work permit extension 30 days before current work permit expires- but I checked "Find out If you are eligible tool" and it suggests I am)
3) Should I go to a Niagra/ Windsor Border to get it done? - My worry is if due to some reason if it gets rejected at Border will I be deported? or do i still have an option to apply online before my work permit expires??

Please advise, thanks!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,

My current PGWP work permit is expiring Dec 8, 2023. I am currently in India and plan to get back to Canada on Nov 25, 2023.

I want to apply for a PGWP Extension but:

1) Not sure if I can do it from India - for an Inside Canada Online Application since I plan to be in Canada before my current work permit expires?
2) Is it a good idea to do it from Canada when I return back on November 25, 2023 which leaves me a about 13 days before my current work permit expires. (Asking this because they mention that you must apply for a work permit extension 30 days before current work permit expires- but I checked "Find out If you are eligible tool" and it suggests I am)
3) Should I go to a Niagra/ Windsor Border to get it done? - My worry is if due to some reason if it gets rejected at Border will I be deported? or do i still have an option to apply online before my work permit expires??

Please advise, thanks!
You need to be in Canada to apply for an extension. It's fine to do it on Nov 25. There is no need to do it 30 days before.

I assume you have a valid TRV to be able to travel back to Canada.

Aug 13, 2023
You need to be in Canada to apply for an extension. It's fine to do it on Nov 25. There is no need to do it 30 days before.

I assume you have a valid TRV to be able to travel back to Canada.
Thanks for your response. Yes, my TRV expires on Dec 8, 2023
So this means I can work on implied status as a worker and not as a visitor, while I wait for my PGWP extension?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your response. Yes, my TRV expires on Dec 8, 2023
So this means I can work on implied status as a worker and not as a visitor, while I wait for my PGWP extension?
Yes

Apr 20, 2024
Hi @scylla ,
Hope this find you well.

I am facing a similar situation. My PGWP expires on Nov 13, 2024 due to passport expiry. I came back to India last year and I do not have a TRV yet.

I have since renewed my passport. Is PGWP extension due to passport expiry only allowed from within Canada? I reached out to few people and even though on IRCC portal it says PGWP extension may only be applied on paper, people have had success applying online. If it's online, is there any way I could do it from outside Canada?

Should I extend my PGWP first and then apply for TRV, OR
Should I get my TRV for the remaining duration of my work permit, get into Canada before my work permit/VISA expires and then apply for extension while in Canada?

Would greatly appreciate your guidance on the matter. Thank you for helping us navigate the insane complexity of immigration procedures.

Looking forward to your reply.
Kind Regards,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi @scylla ,
Hope this find you well.

I am facing a similar situation. My PGWP expires on Nov 13, 2024 due to passport expiry. I came back to India last year and I do not have a TRV yet.

I have since renewed my passport. Is PGWP extension due to passport expiry only allowed from within Canada? I reached out to few people and even though on IRCC portal it says PGWP extension may only be applied on paper, people have had success applying online. If it's online, is there any way I could do it from outside Canada?

Should I extend my PGWP first and then apply for TRV, OR
Should I get my TRV for the remaining duration of my work permit, get into Canada before my work permit/VISA expires and then apply for extension while in Canada?

Would greatly appreciate your guidance on the matter. Thank you for helping us navigate the insane complexity of immigration procedures.

Looking forward to your reply.
Kind Regards,
I don't know the answer to the PGWP extension question. I would apply for the TRV asap and not wait any longer since processing can take a long time