+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need urgent help/advice please- Regarding expiring post grad work permit

Khokodile

Dec 15, 2012
Hi guys,

Heres the situation:

I was issued a 1 year post grad work permit which is expiring in October 2015, I just completed an internship and I am actively and desperately looking for a job in the web development field. I was wondering..

1) What's the process to have my work permit extended? I'm guessing this is only possible if i were to get a job AND have an employer willing to apply for LMIA for me? Does the LMIA apply even though I am on the post grad work permit? Is it any easier on the employer to help in extending my work permit as a PGWP holder? I keep reading conflicting information so I'm little confused.

2) Realistically what are the chances of a smaller company being able to help in the extension of my work permit? And how much trouble(and cost) is it actually for a company to retain me and help in the extension should I find a job.

3) I'm guessing if I do not find a job/company willing to apply for a LMIA/help in the extension theres no other way for me to stay?

Any input is appreciated, thanks a lot for the time guys!

S.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) You need an approved LMIA and a full time job offer from an employer. You can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer. Yes - the LMIA applies even though you are on a PGWP.
2) An LMIA costs an employer $1,000. They also have to advertise the job for at least a month to prove that no Canadian could be found for the role. They then have to submit the LMIA application for processing which typically takes 2-4 months. Hard to say whether your employer will be willing to go through the process or not - you'll have to ask them.
3) You don't say where you are from. It's likely the LMIA route is your only option if you want to stay and work. (The IEC / working holiday visa program may be an option depending on your country of origin.) You could change your status to visitor to stay a bit longer - although you obviously won't be able to work. You could also consider going back to school - although you won't qualify for another PGWP (PGWPs are a one-time deal only).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Looks like you're from Singapore? In that case the IEC/Working Holiday Visa is not an option.

Khokodile

Dec 15, 2012
Thanks a ton for the reply scylla. And yes, Singapore. That's unfortunate but fingers crossed something works out.

I completed a 4 year undergrad program after which I started a 1.5 year diploma. I applied for a PGWP after the diploma but they only issued me a 1 year work permit since it had been almost 2 years since I graduated from my earlier undergrad here(i'm guessing). Most of my friends who applied after the undergrad itself received a 3 year WP. I'm guessing theres no way to appeal or change this right?

Thanks again.

S