+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Urgent Advice on PG Diploma in Canada

vishnu_ca

Apr 21, 2013
Hello All,

I am from India and i am right now on the process of doing a PG diploma course from Canada. I am going to join the Sept 2013 session for a 2 year course (+ 3 year PGWP) in Thompson River University,Kamloops. I have done half of the formalities just need to pay the fees and go for visa process. But before taking this important decision i have some realy important quires to take a this decision.

First my Background:-
- Age - 23
- Scored 60% in 10th standard, 2006
- Scored 54% in 12th standard, 2008 ( Commerce )
- Scored 50% in graduation, 2011 (BBA)
- 1 and a half years of work experience in operations in KPO
- IELTS score 7/9
Finances- I will be taking a educational loan on collateral basis for 28000 C$ (Tuition Fees)and rest 18000 C$ (living expenses) will be paid by my father.

Questions:-
1.How is Thompson River University i am also getting in Sheridan College but i prefer to going to a University.
2. How is Kamloops.
3.What are the job prospects after completion of course as in will i get a job after completion of the course and what would be minimum approx salary keeping in mind i have to pay off a loan of 28K C$ + Interest.
4.I am confused between PG in Finance and PG in international Business which will have more opportunities in Canadian Market.
5. I have gone through the modules of both the courses and the subjects they do not include projects and internships. I have heard in Canada it is necessary to have work experience to get a Job. Please explain how getting a Job works.

I would really appreciate some advice as its a very important decision i need to take. My main concern is getting a job and paying off my loan. I am not getting a Masters degree as my percentage in graduation is low.

Thank you in advance!!

Vishnu

Reactions: Raj tilva

tiger007

Champion Member
vishnu_ca said:
Hello All,

I am from India and i am right now on the process of doing a PG diploma course from Canada. I am going to join the Sept 2013 session for a 2 year course (+ 3 year PGWP) in Thompson River University,Kamloops. I have done half of the formalities just need to pay the fees and go for visa process. But before taking this important decision i have some realy important quires to take a this decision.

First my Background:-
- Age - 23
- Scored 60% in 10th standard, 2006
- Scored 54% in 12th standard, 2008 ( Commerce )
- Scored 50% in graduation, 2011 (BBA)
- 1 and a half years of work experience in operations in KPO
- IELTS score 7/9
Finances- I will be taking a educational loan on collateral basis for 28000 C$ (Tuition Fees)and rest 18000 C$ (living expenses) will be paid by my father.

Questions:-
1.How is Thompson River University i am also getting in Sheridan College but i prefer to going to a University.
2. How is Kamloops.
3.What are the job prospects after completion of course as in will i get a job after completion of the course and what would be minimum approx salary keeping in mind i have to pay off a loan of 28K C$ + Interest.
4.I am confused between PG in Finance and PG in international Business which will have more opportunities in Canadian Market.
5. I have gone through the modules of both the courses and the subjects they do not include projects and internships. I have heard in Canada it is necessary to have work experience to get a Job. Please explain how getting a Job works.

I would really appreciate some advice as its a very important decision i need to take. My main concern is getting a job and paying off my loan. I am not getting a Masters degree as my percentage in graduation is low.

Thank you in advance!!

Vishnu

Hi,

4. and 5.

Please go through this previous post of mine, on pursuing these PG certificate/diploma courses in Canadian colleges or not so reputed universities like TRU. Remember it's my personal opinion and not a standard rule.
(http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pr-rules-t143055.0.html;msg2237439#msg2237439)

tiger007 said:
Hi,

Honestly it means... that most Canadians either pursue lower level trade certificates/diplomas OR practical career oriented diplomas in recognized Canadian colleges or directly pursue Bachelors or higher education in universities. rarely...do Canadians actually pursue these PG certificate course in Canadian colleges (especially these Ontario colleges and some other like the B.C colleges of NIC & Northern lights where they have recently started post degree diplomas in Business to attract international students) which are run keeping international students in mind. There are very few PG certificate/diploma colleges programs..which Canadians actually pursue. This trend started, when colleges found international students, are either overqualified for practical trades/diploma programs or underqualified for Master degrees/ higher education in good public universities..and thus to fill the gap, most probably such college programs started. These programs are heavily promoted by the educational consultants/agents in countries like India, where they get a lump-sum commission to send every student to these kind of PG programs. That being said... there is no set rule either, that an international student is bound to fail/i.e not get skilled professional job after these PG certificates/diplomas (although there r few programs which are quiet good).. .as in really, at the end...it all depends on individual capabilities and circumstances, skills, academic performance, networking abilities & communication skills etc... it's just that... pursuing trades/ practical diplomas/Master's (from good public universities) increases the odds of getting a skilled job substantially....

Only a 3 years PGWP, gives you TIME... i.e extra time to pursue immigration... nothing else. 3 years PGWP doesn't mean guaranteed PR. If tomorrow rules change or easy immigration policies like that of Saskatchewan shut down, majority of desi students who pursue these kind of quick entry PG certificate programs (especially business field programs) will be in limbo, when they will either have to find a skilled job or pay huge sums to not so trustworthy agents, in hope they help them get skilled jobs that may assist in overall immigration process. I'm sorry to be brutally honest..but even though today we have easier immigration polices such as those of Sask. and Manitoba PNPs, there's no guarantee these will not shut down tomorrow, and if that happens.. finding a skilled job will be the only way to immigrate. Reality is... even having a practical skilled trade/diploma from colleges or Master's from universities gives no guarantee of a good professional job, and finding a skilled job and getting PR is not a cakewalk like most desis seem to have that false sense of hope/ idea... especially if they rely ONLY on these PG certificates of colleges. As truth is, even native born Canadians often struggle face fierce competition to find those "skilled" jobs.
And for moving to PHd you need valid Master's degree from a Canadian public university.. not one of these PG cert./diplomas.

Others may agree or oppose with my views, and are welcome to discuss/debate.

Hope it's clear.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

vishnu_ca

Apr 21, 2013
Hi Tiger,

Thank you for the reply this was helpful. I 100% agree on the point on the agents in India, they tell me a lot about these PG courses.

So are you saying TRU is not reputed for PG courses. Is it better doing it from colleges. I want value for my course and i cant trust my career on these agents.

Can you tell me universities/colleges which are good for pursuing PG courses. and i also want industry exposure while studying.

thanks

tiger007

Champion Member
vishnu_ca said:
Hi Tiger,

Thank you for the reply this was helpful. I 100% agree on the point on the agents in India, they tell me a lot about these PG courses.

So are you saying TRU is not reputed for PG courses. Is it better doing it from colleges. I want value for my course and i cant trust my career on these agents.

Can you tell me universities/colleges which are good for pursuing PG courses. and i also want industry exposure while studying.

thanks

Hi,

As I said... there are few good PG certificates/diplomas in colleges. And PG diplomas like this one offered at TRU, has no upper edge either. It's basically same. Yet, for most students form India.. they are in a tough situation. Most, not eligible for quality Master degree programs, or over qualified for practical skilled trades / other practical diplomas.... and face higher chances of study permit getting rejected... especially those related to generic business fields. And so, taking advantage of this situation... agents push students towards these generic Business PG courses.

In my opinion, some of the better PG certificates/diploma ( in Business / Related field) courses offered are:

1. 1 year/ 3 semesters Strategic Relationship Marketing Program ( includes 1 sem co-op), GBC , Toronto (http://www.georgebrown.ca/B409-2013-2014/)

2. 1 year/ 3 terms International Business PG Diploma (with 1 term work experience/internship) , RRC, Winnipeg (http://me.rrc.mb.ca/Catalogue/ProgramInfo.aspx?RegionCode=WPG&ProgCode=INTBF-AD)

3. 1 year/ 3 semesters Human Resources Management Program (with 1 sem co-op), GBC, Toronto (http://www.georgebrown.ca/B408-2013-2014/)

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

vishnu_ca

Apr 21, 2013
Thank you Tiger,

but these are 1 year course which will give 1 year PGWP.

what is the approx/min wages people get after securing a skilled job after completions of PG course, how do u search for jobs in Canada, which is the best place with more job opportunities these are my concerns.

Thanks

tiger007

Champion Member
vishnu_ca said:
Thank you Tiger,

but these are 1 year course which will give 1 year PGWP.

what is the approx/min wages people get after securing a skilled job after completions of PG course, how do u search for jobs in Canada, which is the best place with more job opportunities these are my concerns.

Thanks
Hi,

If you actually manage to find a skilled job immediately after completion of a PG business course, particularly the Ontario pre-approved skilled job or in the province of B.C (direct nomination with job offer, no need of working for certain number of months) or a skilled job (in own field) in a booming Province like Alberta (only 6 months of work ex. required, then apply for nomination)... you can easily secure PR in with a 1 year PGWP. Even if you find a regular skilled job (in any province outside Quebec), then after working for 12 months, and then you can apply for PR directly under Federal CEC route. If you are unsure about finding a skilled job or getting PR with a 1 year PGWP, then.. you may pursue another 8 months/2 sem/1 acd. year course in a province like Saskatchewan (easier PNP rules)...(it will be even better if you can do some skilled trade qualification, higher chances of finding immediate skilled job..higher pay..even though skilled job not required in Sask., we never know when the rules might change!) in province like Sask (which may or may not give you 3 years PGWP, but 2 years PGWP will be assured)., where studying there will make you a student passing out from a Sask. based college and hence eligible to apply for SINP nomination, only after 6 months/960 hours, which you can even try to cover up legally by doing legal part time jobs for max 20 hours/week (provided you get a legal part time job immediately from 1st week..when classes start).. that will be 80 hours/month or 480 hours/ 6 months... and then, you will need to work only 480 hours more (or 3 months full time at 40 hours/week) and at the end of 3 months... get ANY full time job offer, and then apply for SINP. That will be the safest and quickest way, in my opinion... to secure a PR, unless you don't find skilled professional job immediately after graduation. The minimum wage varies according to province, and can be anywhere between 9.75$/hour - 11$/hour. Rest, securing a skilled job and higher wages, totally depends on your individual skills and capabilities.