+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to send Spouse Sponsorship forms together with Open Work permit form/s

MarkBrianne

Jun 25, 2013
I'm a British citizen and my wife is a Canadian Ontario born citizen.

My wife moved to the UK to work as a teacher which is how we met. We fell in love and got married in the UK.

We are both currently in the UK but she wants to return to Canada Ontario and thus I want to go with her. So we are looking at how to proceed.

We have been in email contact with Patrick Brown's office in Barrie for help and clarification and they've been quite helpful yet we're both still kinda confused.

We are told we need to fill in and send the appropriate forms for sponsorship which is fine. We understand the process and requirements regards medical etc.

The question remains, my ability to work in Ontario. We have been told I can apply for an open work permit and that it must be sent with the permanent resident/ spousal sponsorship forms. Our understanding is that I can apply for an open work permit because Ontario has a pilot scheme to bring Canadians with certain abilities back from overseas and because some Canadians may have married outside Canada, it gives their foreign spouses more incentive to move with their spouse if they too are allowed to work easily.
Here's the link on the CIC website titled News Release – ‘Brain gain' pilot project launched in Ontario .cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2011/2011-01-30.asp

Our questions are.

1, My wife has a job here which she will be leaving to return to Canada however, she doesn't yet have a teaching job in Canada. Does she have to have a teaching job lined up straight-away to be able to use this Brain Gain project?

2, Will they discover themselves that her teaching ability has influence on my options of an open work permit? If not, how do we tell them we want to take advantage of the Brain Gain pilot?

3, We've been told we should submit the sponsorship forms and a request for an open work permit together in the same envelope. We've been given a link to apply for an open work permit but the link does not work. onlineservices-servicesenligne.cic.gc.ca/eapp/eapp.do;jsessionid=62EF68AA5D165046F7C0CB923D9DA516

Where do we find the form/s to apply for an open work permit? Can it be found here? .cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp

4, Is this the form that we need to submit? .cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM1295E.pdf
If so, what do we need to fill in and how do we fill it in? We will be applying from within Canada and the form asks us where we are submitting it from so I guess it's possible. It asks what type of permit I want which will be open work permit but it also asks for an LMO which we don't need on an open work permit so should this be left blank or (Not Applicable), likewise leaving the details of an employer blank or (Not Applicable)?

I'm sure there's more questions but that's the background and all I can think of right now.

Really appreciate any help and information you can give based on the info I've given.

EDIT I'm not allowed to post links apparently so mods please delete my links if necessary.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

MarkBrianne said:
I'm a British citizen and my wife is a Canadian Ontario born citizen.

My wife moved to the UK to work as a teacher which is how we met. We fell in love and got married in the UK.

We are both currently in the UK but she wants to return to Canada Ontario and thus I want to go with her. So we are looking at how to proceed.

We have been in email contact with Patrick Brown's office in Barrie for help and clarification and they've been quite helpful yet we're both still kinda confused.

We are told we need to fill in and send the appropriate forms for sponsorship which is fine. We understand the process and requirements regards medical etc.

The question remains, my ability to work in Ontario. We have been told I can apply for an open work permit and that it must be sent with the permanent resident/ spousal sponsorship forms. Our understanding is that I can apply for an open work permit because Ontario has a pilot scheme to bring Canadians with certain abilities back from overseas and because some Canadians may have married outside Canada, it gives their foreign spouses more incentive to move with their spouse if they too are allowed to work easily.
Here's the link on the CIC website titled News Release – ‘Brain gain' pilot project launched in Ontario .cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2011/2011-01-30.asp

Our questions are.

1, My wife has a job here which she will be leaving to return to Canada however, she doesn't yet have a teaching job in Canada. Does she have to have a teaching job lined up straight-away to be able to use this Brain Gain project?

2, Will they discover themselves that her teaching ability has influence on my options of an open work permit? If not, how do we tell them we want to take advantage of the Brain Gain pilot?

3, We've been told we should submit the sponsorship forms and a request for an open work permit together in the same envelope. We've been given a link to apply for an open work permit but the link does not work. onlineservices-servicesenligne.cic.gc.ca/eapp/eapp.do;jsessionid=62EF68AA5D165046F7C0CB923D9DA516

Where do we find the form/s to apply for an open work permit? Can it be found here? .cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp

4, Is this the form that we need to submit? .cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM1295E.pdf
If so, what do we need to fill in and how do we fill it in? We will be applying from within Canada and the form asks us where we are submitting it from so I guess it's possible. It asks what type of permit I want which will be open work permit but it also asks for an LMO which we don't need on an open work permit so should this be left blank or (Not Applicable), likewise leaving the details of an employer blank or (Not Applicable)?

I'm sure there's more questions but that's the background and all I can think of right now.

Really appreciate any help and information you can give based on the info I've given.

EDIT I'm not allowed to post links apparently so mods please delete my links if necessary.
1. It won't fly for the work permit as your spouse has to be returning to a job in Canada, which she doesn't have.

The sponsoring spouse or parent must:

be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
have left Canada and be returning to work permanently in Ontario, as a health professional or an academic for post-secondary public institutions, in one of the specified occupations listed below;
with their employer, obtain a letter from the Province of Ontario confirming their employment, location and occupation and provide it as supporting documentation with the work permit application; and
have submitted an application to CIC to sponsor their spouse For dependent child.

2. If she had a job to come to it would have to be post secondary in teaching.
3. You know that as a Canadian citizen that she can sponsor you as a spouse while residing abroad? She has to include a statement as to her plans for accommodation/work/and or school/ and that she will return to Canada once you are issued a visa.
4. If you came to Canada as visitor and your spouse submitted the application/sponsorship to Vegreville as an "In Canada" spousal application, your open work permit would not be approved until first level approval, about 6 months into the process. You are looking at about 14 months for the whole process.
5. If your spouse sponsored you while residing abroad from the UK, sending the sponsorship/application to Mississauga, 27 days for approval refusal and the application would be processed in London, (prior to the strike) 80% of spousal were processed in 10 months.

MarkBrianne

Jun 25, 2013
Many thanks for your reply!

She doesn't teach post secondary anyway although she has expressed interest in doing so.

A couple of questions then, if you don't mind?

1, If she did find a post secondary teaching job in Canada, can the open work permit for myself be requested at a later date during the sponsorship process? Once I'm past first level approval for sponsorship of course.

2, It was our initial intention to apply for sponsorship outside Canada but she has to return to Canada as she doesn't wish to continue working at the school here in the UK thus her VISA here will expire. I'm self employed in the UK so can visit with her in Canada for several months.
If going through the process here in the UK, how available do I / we need to be? Interviews etc? Or is it merely a waiting game and actual appearances aren't required until the end? It would work out very expensive to travel back and forth for a day here and a day there!

Again, many thanks for replies!