+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help with the forms please!

marcjacobs

Jun 10, 2010
Hi there!
Hope some of you experts will be able to answer some of my silly questions. I am stressing a lot over these forms ughh ???
Ok so I am the sponsor (Canadian, from Montreal) sponsoring my Common-Law Partner (Irish) Outland via the London Office.
We don't have any kids, representative, co-signer, etc. It's just me, sponsoring him to move to Montreal, QC.

If I understand correctly, these should be the only forms we need to fill (in our case)

(me)- SPONSOR:
The Application to Sponsor and Undertaking IMM 1344A
The Sponsor Questionnaire (IMM 5540)
The Receipt (IMM 5401) Fees
The Document Checklist (IMM 5491)

(HIM) - Applicant
The Application for Permanent Residence (IMM 0008 Generic)
The Spouse/Partner questionnaire (IMM 5490)
The Schedule 1 (Background/Declaration form)
The Additional Family Information form (IMM 5406)

+ Include medicals, police clearance, all the proofs.

We then send everything to Missisauga, who will approve me as a sponsor first. Then we will need to fill extra forms and send them to QC office.
And after that they will forward our application to the London office.
Is that right?

We've been living in Ireland together for almost a year now. Moving back to Montreal in 3 weeks. (He will come as a visitor for 6 months)
So basically, we will apply outland, with him living with me in Canada while waiting for his PR.

In the form IMM1344A http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM1344EA.pdf
Section A, Question 10: Are you a Canadian citizen? Yes or No - Became a citizen on (Date)
If you are a Canadian citizen, is your claim to citizenship by descent? Yes or No
I was born in Canada, so what should I write? Sounds stupid but I really don't know!

Then Section C, Question 6: Address where the person you are sponsoring lives?
Should I write my own address in Montreal where he will be living with me (as a visitor)
Or should he write his parents address here in Ireland?
And if we want to apply Outland via the London office. What should I check in b) and c)
For the mailing address we will be using the one in Montreal since we will be there and wants to receive all the papers over there.

In the Additional Family Infos Form IMM5406 Only the applicant needs to fill it? and put my name down as the Common-Law partner + his parents name. His parents won't be coming to Canada with us and we don't have any kids. So nobody else needs to fill this form right?
It's just a bit confusing.

I will post more questions shortly..
Thanks for your help guys! ;D

nylalisa

Jan 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2010
Doc's Request.
31-01-2011 (additional doc request)
AOR Received.
17-01-2011
File Transfer...
06-01-2011
Med's Request
30-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-10-2010
Interview........
30-03-2011 (Passed and approved same day)
Passport Req..
01-25-2011
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2011 (Received 09-04-2011)
LANDED..........
13-04-2011
For the applicant, you also need the regional forms specific to Ireland. The links are on the main pade just listed under the rest of the forms. As for the other forms, you are correct about them. You will send it to CPC-M and then you will hear back about the other step for MICC.

Questions, you are born in Canada then you answer yes to being a canadian citizen but leave the date blank, its for those who were PRs first. Again, you are not a citizen by descent, if you were born inside Canada. So you would put no. However, if you were born outside Canada to Canadian parents, then your answer would be yes.

If you are applying outland, put his address in Ireland. That is his address outside of Canada. I believe there is a space for a mailing address option. And you state you want it processed through London office which is his home visa office.

As for form 5406, it is completed and signed by him. It needs his name, your name and his parents (all of your info as well). Its straight forward. Then you sign if he has no children, and the last section is for any brother or sisters, he may have and their info. And there is another signature required.

You should really read over the guide thouroughly for completing the questions, it is very helpful!!!
[/quote]

marcjacobs

Jun 10, 2010
Thank you!!
Yes I forgot to mention the Ireland specific forms, got them as well!

Thank you for the clarification.
The problem is that when he will be moving back to Canada with me, that will also count in the 1 year -cohabitation thing. We are moving back January 25th, but cannot apply until February 8th. I just don't want to create confusion by saying he is living in Ireland if he is actually in Canada.

marcjacobs

Jun 10, 2010
For the Question 6.
Should I write his address in Ireland anyways?
Then b) If the above address is not in the country of nationality of the person you are sponsoring , has that person been lawfully admitted for a period of at least one year in the country where he or she is living? Yes or No
c) Do you wish to have the application for PR of the person you are sponsoring processed at the visa office responsible for this country? Yes or No

And then Mailing Address would be the one in Montreal...

Sorry I'm just so confused.
I've been through the guides already and it's not that helpful...

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Form IMM 5406: the applicant must list all his brothers and sisters, including half- and step-siblings, in the bottom section.

For the address: you're applying outland, and he is just visiting you in Canada, so most people would put the home address of the parents in as his address. But several people on this forum have been in the same situation as you, where the foreigner is living in Canada with the sponsor as a visitor for 6 months, and these forum members have used the Canadian address as the applicant's address on an outland app without any problems.
Since the one-year cohabitation necessary for common-law applications is going to include some of the time you are living together in Canada, I would use your Canadian address as the address where he is actually living. He is living there, after all, so it is true. You can then add a letter of explanation if you are worried - just say that the Irish address is his parents' address, and that while he entered Canada as a visitor, he is in fact living with you at your Canadian address.
He will be admitted to Canada for 6 months, most likely, so he will not have been admitted for at least a year, so the answer to that question is 'no'. This just means they will process his application in London.