+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED HELP TO SPONSOR A NEWBORN BABY !!

EdgeBiz

Apr 30, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm a Canadian PR living in CA. I just have a newborn baby boy in my home country. His birth certificate only has my name as his father (no mother's name).

I will apply for my CA citizenship in June 2021 and I want to include my son in that application as a dependent, so that he will get CA citizenship at the same time as me.

As far as I know, he has to have CA PR status before he can get CA citizenship (Someone please confirm this!!). Therefore, I have to sponsor him for PR first.

My questions are:

1/ CAN HIS PR BE APPROVED WITHOUT HAVING TO BRING HIM TO CANADA?
Because he is too small and I cannot take care of him by myself in CA (I have to work). If I leave him in my home country, I have relatives help me to take care of him. If it's doable, please tell me the steps.

2/ IS IT OK IF HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE DOESN'T HAVE A MOTHER'S NAME? I will include our DNAs to prove that I'm his biological father.

3/ DOES THE BABY HAVE TO HAVE A PASSPORT IN HIS HOME COUNTRY TO APPLY FOR PR?

Thank you everyone!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, I'm a Canadian PR living in CA. I just have a newborn baby boy in my home country. His birth certificate only has my name as his father (no mother's name).

I will apply for my CA citizenship in June 2021 and I want to include my son in that application as a dependent, so that he will get CA citizenship at the same time as me.

As far as I know, he has to have CA PR status before he can get CA citizenship (Someone please confirm this!!). Therefore, I have to sponsor him for PR first.

My questions are:

1/ CAN HIS PR BE APPROVED WITHOUT HAVING TO BRING HIM TO CANADA?
Because he is too small and I cannot take care of him by myself in CA (I have to work). If I leave him in my home country, I have relatives help me to take care of him. If it's doable, please tell me the steps.

2/ IS IT OK IF HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE DOESN'T HAVE A MOTHER'S NAME? I will include our DNAs to prove that I'm his biological father.

3/ DOES THE BABY HAVE TO HAVE A PASSPORT IN HIS HOME COUNTRY TO APPLY FOR PR?

Thank you everyone!
1. No. You’ll have to use a daycare or nanny like everyone else.

2. Expect that you will need to provide more information about the mother and why she isn’t on the birth certificate. Clearly who the mother is is known. Onky having a father listed on a birth certificate is unusual.

3. Yes

EdgeBiz

Apr 30, 2020
1. No. You’ll have to use a daycare or nanny like everyone else.

2. Expect that you will need to provide more information about the mother and why she isn’t on the birth certificate. Clearly who the mother is is known. Onky having a father listed on a birth certificate is unusual.

3. Yes

Thank you canuck78 for your quick reply! I want to discuss further regarding those questions.

Question 1: So the baby has to 'land' in CA first to receive the PR card. While waiting for the PR card to be mailed to my Canada home, can I bring him back to his home country? As per CIC, to keep a PR status, one only has to stay in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years.

Question 2: His mother abandoned him. She left a note and him with my relatives there. I was in Canada at the time. We had no ways to contact her. So his birth certificate has no father and mother names. When I come back and show the DNA test result, the goverment will add my name in the back of his birth certificate as his biological father.
Will he have any problems when applying for his CA PR? I'm very worried, please explain in more details.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you canuck78 for your quick reply! I want to discuss further regarding those questions.

Question 1: So the baby has to 'land' in CA first to receive the PR card. While waiting for the PR card to be mailed to my Canada home, can I bring him back to his home country? As per CIC, to keep a PR status, one only has to stay in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years.

Question 2: His mother abandoned him. She left a note and him with my relatives there. I was in Canada at the time. We had no ways to contact her. So his birth certificate has no father and mother names. When I come back and show the DNA test result, the goverment will add my name in the back of his birth certificate as his biological father.
Will he have any problems when applying for his CA PR? I'm very worried, please explain in more details.
1. Yes, the baby has to "land". Yes, you can bring him back to his home country.
2. You will need to show that you have sole legal custody of the child.

Reactions: EdgeBiz

EdgeBiz

Apr 30, 2020
1. Yes, the baby has to "land". Yes, you can bring him back to his home country.
2. You will need to show that you have sole legal custody of the child.
Hi scylla,

a/ Are his birth certificate with only the father's name and the DNA test result sufficient to prove my sole legal custody? What else do I have to provide?

b/ Do I need to explain the whole situation to them in his PR application? I'm afraid that if I tell them the details, they will ask for more evidence that I cannot collect or prove.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi scylla,

a/ Are his birth certificate with only the father's name and the DNA test result sufficient to prove my sole legal custody? What else do I have to provide?

b/ Do I need to explain the whole situation to them in his PR application? I'm afraid that if I tell them the details, they will ask for more evidence that I cannot collect or prove.
Will assume you will have to prove that you can not make contact with the mother. I still don’t unserstand why the mother is not on the birth certificate. She is known and there will be birth records associated with the child. Were you married?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi scylla,

Unless your country has laws that grant you custody by default in such a situation, no, it's not enough. You will need either the mother's permission or full legal custody granted by the courts. IRCC only accepts DNA tests that they request and are done through specific labs.

EdgeBiz

Apr 30, 2020
Unless your country has laws that grant you custody by default in such a situation, no, it's not enough. You will need either the mother's permission or full legal custody granted by the courts. IRCC only accepts DNA tests that they request and are done through specific labs.
Thank you canuck78 & canuck_in_uk! I have other questions.

I'm currently single. When I sponsor my son for a PR, in the application, I will select 'Single' for Marital Status.
While his application is being processed, if I get married in Canada to a foreigner, do I have to inform CIC?

Does it affect my son's PR application, if I sponsor another person (my new wife)?
Should I wait for my son to have a PR and then sponsor my new wife?

In the application, there is this question "Number of persons included in previous undertakings you signed as a sponsor..."
In theory, sponsoring a child or spouse doesn't require any level of income. But I don't know if they will hold on to our applications.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

I'm currently single. When I sponsor my son for a PR, in the application, I will select 'Single' for Marital Status.
While his application is being processed, if I get married in Canada to a foreigner, do I have to inform CIC?

Does it affect my son's PR application, if I sponsor another person (my new wife)?

In the application, there is this question "Number of persons included in previous undertakings you signed as a sponsor..."
In theory, sponsoring a child or spouse doesn't require any level of income. But I don't know if they will hold on to our applications.
Yes, you would inform IRCC of your new marital status.

You can sponsor more than one person.

I don't know what you mean by "hold on to your applications".

EdgeBiz

Apr 30, 2020
Yes, you would inform IRCC of your new marital status.

You can sponsor more than one person.

I don't know what you mean by "hold on to your applications".
Let's say if my income is not high, will they still approve my sponsorship for my son and wife, within the normal processing timeframe?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Let's say if my income is not high, will they still approve my sponsorship for my son and wife, within the normal processing timeframe?
There is no minimum income requirement. You need to show that you can support your family without welfare. If IRCC doesn't think that you can, they will request further documentation from you.

EdgeBiz

Apr 30, 2020
Hi canuck_in_uk,

1. If my citizenship application is being processed and I get married to a foreigner (no PR sponsorship application yet), will that affect CIC's decision? Or will it slow down the process?

2. If my wife's PR application fails, can we reapply again?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi canuck_in_uk,

1. If my citizenship application is being processed and I get married to a foreigner (no PR sponsorship application yet), will that affect CIC's decision? Or will it slow down the process?

2. If my wife's PR application fails, can we reapply again?
1. Of course not. You are free to marry whomever you want and that has nothing to do with applying for citizenship.

2. Yes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Just making sure you were not living with your partner for a year before applying for PR.

EdgeBiz

Apr 30, 2020
Just making sure you were not living with your partner for a year before applying for PR.
I don't understand what you mean. Get married, then do not live together in a year and then sponsor for PR?
Can you please explain why I should do that? Thank you!