+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED HELP PLEASE.

dslr

Dec 19, 2011
Hi. I just want to ask if I can still petition my girlfriend, which also is the mother of my daughter, when we got married? I landed here in Canada as a permanent resident with me and my daughter dependent to my mother. At the time of our application, the immigration sent us a letter regarding the status of me and my girlfriend. The problem is, that time we were not in good conditions although we are still friends, so I wrote in the letter that we were not together but still has communication. As time goes by, we became okay again with the decision that it will be the best for our child. She also signed a document allowing our daughter to come with me here in Canada. Are there any misrepresentations on what I did? Thanks in advance.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dslr said:
Hi. I just want to ask if I can still petition my girlfriend, which also is the mother of my daughter, when we got married? I landed here in Canada as a permanent resident with me and my daughter dependent to my mother. At the time of our application, the immigration sent us a letter regarding the status of me and my girlfriend. The problem is, that time we were not in good conditions although we are still friends, so I wrote in the letter that we were not together but still has communication. As time goes by, we became okay again with the decision that it will be the best for our child. She also signed a document allowing our daughter to come with me here in Canada. Are there any misrepresentations on what I did? Thanks in advance.
There was no misrepresentation as long as you and your girlfriend were not in a common-law relationship and you were honest with CIC. People do reconcile and it looks like you have already informed CIC that you were still in communication at the time you landed in Canada. You can apply to sponsor her as your spouse after you get married. However, expect scutiny because CIC will want to be sure that they were not mislead.

dslr

Dec 19, 2011
We are not yet in Canada at the time that the immigration asked our status. Another problem is that we do not have common law partener relationships in our country. Only single and married. Do you think I should ask advise from an immigration lawyer? Thank you for your reply..

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dslr said:
We are not yet in Canada at the time that the immigration asked our status. Another problem is that we do not have common law partener relationships in our country. Only single and married. Do you think I should ask advise from an immigration lawyer? Thank you for your reply..
Were you living together at the time you questioned about your status? Common-law means living together in a conjugal relationship (marriage like) for 12 consecutive months.

dslr

Dec 19, 2011
No. But there are times that she sleeps in our house and me in their house with our daughter. We live only 5 minutes walk from each of our house..

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Sponsor approved: May 1,2012; file rcvd by CEM: May 8
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
PPR date: May10, PPR rcvd: May16, PP sent: May 17 ,PP rcvd by CEM:May18
VISA ISSUED...
IP: Aug16, DM: Aug19 Visa Issue Date: August 16, 2012 Visa rcvd: Aug24
LANDED..........
September 20, 2012, PR card received Nov 23,2012
dslr said:
No. But there are times that she sleeps in our house and me in their house with our daughter. We live only 5 minutes walk from each of our house..

i think sleeping over at some times will not qualify as common law, so no problem. i also think u were honest at the time u told immgration that u and ur gf werent ok before u became a pr. no misrepresentation coz u wldnt have declared her back then anyway since she wasnt ur wife, u werent in common law relp and u werent conjugal as well coz u broke up. u can marry her now and sponsor her but like they said, u may need more explaining to do abt the situation that happened with u and ur gf/wife :)

dslr

Dec 19, 2011
Thank you. :) is it also possible that I will just invite her to visit here and then marry her here? I just want her badly to be here as soon as possible because our daughter is now asking for her every night before we go to sleep :(

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Sponsor approved: May 1,2012; file rcvd by CEM: May 8
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
PPR date: May10, PPR rcvd: May16, PP sent: May 17 ,PP rcvd by CEM:May18
VISA ISSUED...
IP: Aug16, DM: Aug19 Visa Issue Date: August 16, 2012 Visa rcvd: Aug24
LANDED..........
September 20, 2012, PR card received Nov 23,2012
dslr said:
Thank you. :) is it also possible that I will just invite her to visit here and then marry her here? I just want her badly to be here as soon as possible because our daughter is now asking for her every night before we go to sleep :(
she can try to get a temporary resident visa but she has to establish strong bonds in her home country that she will go back and not overstay

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dslr said:
You can try but doubtful she will get it.