+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help on BOWP application please

shannon234

Star Member
May 6, 2015
Hello all,
My current PGWP is about to expire in 2 weeks and my FSW PR application still has no update over 2 months. So I decided to apply for a BOWP. Since I've never seen the mystery second AOR, maybe paper application is the best solution for me. My question is what kind of documents I need to provide? Document checklist published on CIC website includes LMIA, which I don't have obviously. Should I attach my eAOR? Thanks in advance

I_love_van

May 11, 2015
Hi Senior,
I have question regarding the BOWP application as well. I got EE BCPNP nomination and now preparing PR application documents, I have not submitted PR application yet.

I checked CIC website for instruction, which says:
Determining if a positive eligibility decision has been made
The bridging open work permit (BOWP) requires that the foreign nationals have submitted their application for permanent residence and that CIC has provided a “positive eligibility assessment”. The positive eligibility assessment is considered to be made when the applicants receive their Acknowledgement of Receipt letter (not notice of receipt of electronic submission) and the following is confirmed in GCMS:

For FSWC applications
submitted prior to January 1, 2015, the status of the Ministerial Instructions activity has been set to “Met” or a positive Final Determination of Eligibility letter or email has been sent.
submitted on or after January 1, 2015, the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) has sent an Acknowledgment of Receipt letter that confirms the application has passed R10 completeness (this is not the Electronic receipt of APR notice but the letter [Acknowledgement of Receipt] issued in GCMS).
For PNP applications, the status of the Eligibility EC-QC/PNP activity has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgment of Receipt letter or email has been sent by the CIO.

Express Entry

In the Express Entry application process, a notice and a letter are sent to the applicant. Only the letter (Acknowledgment of Receipt) can be used to support a BOWP.

A notice (Electronic receipt of APR) is automatically issued to the applicants on receipt of their electronic application submission. This notice indicates the following: “Your application is being checked to determine whether it meets the requirements of a complete application pursuant to section 10 and section 12.01 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.” This notice cannot be used to support a BOWP, as it does not reflect that the applicant has received a “positive eligibility assessment” as required for a BOWP.

A letter (Acknowledgement of Receipt) is issued to the applicants once their application has passed a completeness check. This letter indicates the following: “CIC has reviewed your application and determined that it meets the requirements of a complete application as described in section 10 and section 12.01 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.” This is the official Acknowledgement of Receipt letter and it may be used to support a BOWP if all other requirements are met.

What I want to clarify is: Shall I submit PR application first, only when the application pass the completeness check, then I can apply for BOWP?

vernon22445

Star Member
Jan 21, 2014
Hi Guys,

I am oct AOR applicant and my current work permit is gonna expire by June 09, 2016. So I am
Planning to apply BRidging work permit. My question is my wife and kid is with me. My son is doing his schooling in Canada, so do I need to get any kind of letter from school to apply bridging work permit so his student visa also be extending? Kindly let me know thought.