+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help, my Canadian girlfriend got pregnant

frsdvl

Dec 23, 2010
My Canadian girlfriend unexpectedly got pregnant last August and is due in May. Myself i'm from The Netherlands and scared / worried.
I spent a year in Canada and flew back last December, and i'm planning on going back to Canada in February.
Now as you can probably understand we want to fill out and send in the immigration forms asap, but... we dont have a clue on how we have to do this.
First things first, we are going to get married when i get back, Cause i read this should make it a bit easier and ofcourse this would be the right time to get married as this is the start of our own little family right now anyways. Also we are going to apply inland, cause I ofcourse want to be around the baby. Anyways now i have a couple of questions...

1.) Are there any important things i should know about before applying this way, cause im scared they might think its a fraud, and i really don't want this to happen.
2.) I read that i'm allowed to get an open work permit while my application is being processed, is this right?
3.) I'm not allowed to leave the country, does this mean i have to extend my stay every time? and if i do, is it possible to extend it for lets say a full year, stating my application is send in etc.
4.) Also since i'm doing it Inland i figure i might need to bring some stuff from back home, like a birth certificate. I tried looking up things on google, and some people say i need a bunch of stuff, where others say i only need a birth certificate, so i would like some clarification on this.

I can't think of anymore questions right now, but if there are more i'll post them, i hope someone can help me out!

Thanks, Mark

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
2) You can obtain a work permit after the first stage of processing has been completed. First stage processing currently takes around 9 months. So for those 9 months you will be unable to work and also won't have access to health care.

I'm sure others will ask you the same question, but have you considered applying outland rather than inland? That's likely going to be the MUCH faster route for you. And yes, you can still be in Canada visiting your girlfriend even if you apply outland.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) Immigration thinks all relationships are a fraud until proven otherwise so provide your history of how you met, how you fell in love etc. supported by photos, emails, phone bills, chat logs etc. and since you lived together, stuff that proves you lived together, bills for stuff that was in both your names etc.

2) What scylla said.

3) When your status is about to expire, you apply to extend. I believe you get 6 months at a time. If you apply inland, they will not refuse you to extend because it is a requirement to apply inland that you are in Canada. If you apply outland, they could refuse you to extend but I don't think they ever do.

4) It is good to have a birth certificate in case you need one. You might need it to get married. Otherwise I have found that most thing can be arranged through relatives or friends at home who will then mail it to you. You might have to give them a power of attorney to arrange things for you legally or many things can also be arranged through the embassy.

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
frsdvl

As scylla said - outland might be a better option for you. If you apply outland you can still stay in Canada as much of the time as they'll let you and it could all be done in less time than the initial 9 month period for inland in which you can't work anyway. You just can't actually move to Canada with all your stuff.

You need to go onto the canada immigration website and download the guides for sponsoring and applying for immigration and read through them carefully. There are checklists with all the information you need about documents to be submitted etc. You also need to check the regional guide for any further details. It really isn't that difficult to get it all done... just take it one form at a time.

Yes, unfortunately it may look like a marraige entered into for the purposes of immigration. My friend got rejected in your situation (she was in Canada pregnant and sponsoring her new husband) but later won on appeal. Just make sure you include TONS of documentation of your relationship before the pregnancy. Include lots of statements from friends and family about them knowing about the relationship and that is was serious and long-term before the pregnancy happened and so on. The more personal the better.

frsdvl

Dec 23, 2010
Thanks for the replys.
Maybe an outland application would be better then, I take it, it's possible to send in an outland application whilist im staying in Canada? I looked up at CIC and it say's it takes 14 months, i dont know if thats just an avarage or all applications just take 14 months? I Guess when i'm in Canada i could extend my stay again, stay for a year then go back home, for the last 2 months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The 14 months represents 80% of applications. Here's the wording taken directly from the CIC site: "The times are based on how long it took to process 80 percent of all cases between October 1, 2009, and September 30, 2010. Processing times are subject to change."

And yes, it's possible to send an outland application while you are in Canada. We submitted my husband's outland application while he was in Canada and he was in Canada for the entire time it took to process the application. For his home/residental address, we indicated his address in the US. For his mailing address, we indicated our address in Toronto to make sure that any immigration related correspondence was sent there. Worked perfectly and the entire process took just over 4 months for us.

frsdvl

Dec 23, 2010
Thanks, that's nice that you can do it like that. Also when everything gets approved i have to leave the country and come back in am i right?

Rinnerz

Apr 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2010
AOR Received.
14-12-2010
File Transfer...
09-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-07-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2011
LANDED..........
02-08-2011
frsdvl said:
Thanks, that's nice that you can do it like that. Also when everything gets approved i have to leave the country and come back in am i right?
Most people "flagpole" at the border, where you basically go across and tell US customs that you want to go right back into Canada to land. It's typically faster this way. But if you have valid temporary status in Canada, you can also technically schedule an appointment with CIC to land at one of their local offices near you. I've read there can be wait times for that though, depending on where you are and how busy your local office already is.

frsdvl

Dec 23, 2010
Alright, i guess i can do that. And would i have to send in my pasport or anything or do they do all that at the border?

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
The country that is processing your application, in your case Berlin will request your passport. You will courier it to them and they would send it back to you. You drive to your closest border with the documents they ask for (pictures, passport w/visa) and you become a permament resident.

Jurjen

Nov 1, 2010
Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (inland)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2010
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
19-10-2011 @ Montreal
Hi frsdvl!

How old are you? If you're under 30 years old, you could sign up for the Working Holiday Program (WHP) as an open work permit. After sending the PR application inland + the demand for the open work permit at First Stage Approval, you can keep working after your work permit has expired as long as you don't leave the country during this 'implied status'.

By the way: If you want to read some more info on this in Dutch, check out Wereldwijzer.nl. We got a small group of Dutch and Flamish people that are PR/in proces/preparing to apply. I wrote a lot of info and personal experiences with CIC there too (I've sent my application last fall).

So welcome to the bunch of immigrants-to-be! :)

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
I tried to send you a PM but you need to empty your inbox.

I think you will need to complete a few things more before you send it off. Make sure you include them all:

IEC Category: Working Holiday 2011 (NL-11-WHC)
Please send your application to the following address:
Embassy of Canada
International Experience Canada
Working Holiday (NL)
Leipziger Platz 17
10117 Berlin
Germany

The application MUST contain ALL of the following in the order below:
(Please do not staple the documents and do not use sheet protectors)

The completed and signed application and declarations forms (page 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 of this
document). NB: You have to include your bank details for possible reimbursement of
program participation fee;

The completed application form for a work permit (page 7 and 8 of this document).
NB: Please fill in all required fields including an e-mail address and a Dutch mailing address;

2 passport-size photos with your name on the back of each of the photographs;
(see specifications: www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/photospecs.asp)

A clear photocopy of the page of your passport that shows your personal data, your photo
and the validity of the passport. Do not include your actual passport with your application;

An original Dutch Certificate of Good Behaviour (police certificate), not older than 12
months (for more information see: www.justitie.nl/themas/vog);

Proof of payment of the participation fee.

See detailed instructions on method of payment on page 3 of this document;
 Self-addressed standard return envelope (110 x 220 mm or similar).

You have to make sure you have all the above or it will be returned. Im not sure how long it takes to get your police certificate but I know in Germany it only takes like 10 days. Not a big deal.

My boyfriend sent it off to Germany and it was approved in less than a month :) Let me know if you have any more questions.

frsdvl

Dec 23, 2010
Yea i noticed that later, Filled out the forms to get my police certificate things, gonna send it to Berlin tomorrow and hope it comes back soon so i can get my police certificates. then going to pay and send it all to germany and hopefully it wont take long. thanks alot Jurjen for pointing it out and Kelkel for the help i appreciate it alot!