+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[NEED HELP] leave of absence and PGWP

Pedro9870

Apr 14, 2020
Hello everyone. I am an international student planning to start a master's degree in Canada. I have been seriously considering the Master of Engineering at The University of British Columbia . The typical structure most students follow is:

Fall - 4 courses
Winter - 3 courses
Summer- 120 days authorized leave of absence because the are no courses offered
Fall - 3 courses

My question is: What would be the length for a PGWP after this program route?

According to some information I read, for a leave of absence of less than 150 days, the IRCC considers the student to be "actively pursuing their studies"
Also, summer terms are not considered scheduled breaks for graduate students at UBC. The cic website says that a 3-year PGWP might be issued after completing a 16-23 months master program without scheduled breaks. The program is 16 months in total length but I am not sure if an authorized leave of absence of about 120 days would impact the length of the PGWP since technically I am actively pursuing my studies during the leave.

Any opinions, experiences from you or people you know? Thanks in advance!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I think that course should be eligible for a three-year PGWP. The summer term isn't really a leave of absence if the reason is that there are no courses scheduled. Regardless of what UBC's internal policy is, that sounds like a scheduled break that IRCC would count toward the length of a PGWP.

Andy1111

Nov 12, 2021
Hey! Did you have any problem with leave of absence? My university said any leave of absence makes you ineligible for pgwp