+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help filling out my work experience details (primary occupation qualification date)

hbrod

Jul 19, 2017
Hello everyone,

I recently got my IELTS and ECA results and started filling out my EE application, but I have some questions regarding my work experience and intended primary occupation.

Here's the deal: I got my degree in Civil Engineering in July/2013, but I actually started working full time as a financial analyst at EY in 2011 (unregulated profession in Brazil, so I didn't need a degree to get the job).

I stayed at this job until March/2014 and then moved to another firm, where I also worked as a financial analyst until May/2015. After that, I worked as a financial manager and analyst in a start-up firm (1 year total) and now I currently work as a Business Intelligence Coordinator (since 10 months ago).

As far as I know, as I never actually worked as a civil engineer after I graduated, it would be best to state my primary intended occupation as "financial analyst" (NOC 1112), as this is the occupation I have most experience in, right?

However, checking the requirements for NOC 1112 it states that "a bachelor's degree in commerce, business administration or economics" and "on-the-job training and industry courses and programs" are usually required.

In that case, is it ok to use NOC 1112 as my intended occupation even though I have an engineering degree?

Also, the EE form tells me to state the date when I started working in my intended occupation. However, as I said before, I started working as a financial analyst before actually getting my bachelor's degree. Should I use the date when I graduated or the date when I actually got hired?

Many thanks for any help you guys can give me!

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I recently got my IELTS and ECA results and started filling out my EE application, but I have some questions regarding my work experience and intended primary occupation.

Here's the deal: I got my degree in Civil Engineering in July/2013, but I actually started working full time as a financial analyst at EY in 2011 (unregulated profession in Brazil, so I didn't need a degree to get the job).

I stayed at this job until March/2014 and then moved to another firm, where I also worked as a financial analyst until May/2015. After that, I worked as a financial manager and analyst in a start-up firm (1 year total) and now I currently work as a Business Intelligence Coordinator (since 10 months ago).

As far as I know, as I never actually worked as a civil engineer after I graduated, it would be best to state my primary intended occupation as "financial analyst" (NOC 1112), as this is the occupation I have most experience in, right?

However, checking the requirements for NOC 1112 it states that "a bachelor's degree in commerce, business administration or economics" and "on-the-job training and industry courses and programs" are usually required.

In that case, is it ok to use NOC 1112 as my intended occupation even though I have an engineering degree?

Also, the EE form tells me to state the date when I started working in my intended occupation. However, as I said before, I started working as a financial analyst before actually getting my bachelor's degree. Should I use the date when I graduated or the date when I actually got hired?

Many thanks for any help you guys can give me!
IRCC specifically checks qualifications and job duties against NOC. In your case, you need to prove that this is your work experience even though you do not have the education credentials. You might mention what the job qualifications are at your company or in your country.

Reactions: hbrod

hbrod

Jul 19, 2017
IRCC specifically checks qualifications and job duties against NOC. In your case, you need to prove that this is your work experience even though you do not have the education credentials. You might mention what the job qualifications are at your company or in your country.
Thanks. I'm still unsure what to put on as the “date the applicant first became qualified to practice this occupation.”

EE form states that "this is the date when you finished the minimum level of education needed for the occupation according to the National Occupational Classification code. (Note: if the NOC only states high school, this is the date you graduated from high school.)"

NOC 1112 says that I "usually" need a bachelor's degree, but I started working at my first job as a financial analyst in 2011, 2 years before graduation as a civil engineer. What date should I use? The day I started working or the day I was awarded my diploma?

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
Thanks. I'm still unsure what to put on as the “date the applicant first became qualified to practice this occupation.”

EE form states that "this is the date when you finished the minimum level of education needed for the occupation according to the National Occupational Classification code. (Note: if the NOC only states high school, this is the date you graduated from high school.)"

NOC 1112 says that I "usually" need a bachelor's degree, but I started working at my first job as a financial analyst in 2011, 2 years before graduation as a civil engineer. What date should I use? The day I started working or the day I was awarded my diploma?
Just put the date you started working explaining why you put it. Did you undergo any training to become a financial analyst? If so, you can put a date of when you got a certificate of completion. This question is usually more relevant to occupations which require a license like medicine.

hbrod

Jul 19, 2017
No official training other than the in-house training. I was done with my engineering classes and got hired. Due to some bureaucratic issues I only got my degree a while later. Would it be safer to just put in the date I graduated?