+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help filing Asylum or refugee claim.

sivasuthan

Apr 30, 2019
I want to file refugee claim for my parents who came to visit me via Visitors Visa. My parents came to Canada from Srilanka on July,2024.Do i need lawyer for Refugee claim ?..where and how to apply ?
Can i apply for them?..Pls guide me..Thank you in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unless they have extremely strong proof of persecution and there is no safe art of Sri Lanka where they can live they are taking a huge risk applying for asylum. They have options like a supervisa to visit you for long periods of time. If denied they could no longer be able to visit you in Canada in the future.

Reactions: sivasuthan

Yaeed

Sep 9, 2024
Yes, you need to have an immigration lawyer or immigration consultant; search for immigration law offices in your city, and they will help you with everything for a fee.

You can apply for them, but there's a risk; it's a long and complex process, and they may need to wait 1-2 years or more for their claims to be finalized.

Reactions: sivasuthan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, you need to have an immigration lawyer or immigration consultant; search for immigration law offices in your city, and they will help you with everything for a fee.

You can apply for them, but there's a risk; it's a long and complex process, and they may need to wait 1-2 years or more for their claims to be finalized.
The risk is if they get denied they will have difficulty entering Canada and many other countries. As mentioned if they do apply they are essentially stuck in Canada for likely a year but could be much longer if their asylum claim is denied as they attempt to try to gain status. Even if approved they will not be able to return to Sri Lanka for likely at least 5 years and only certain countries accept RTDs.

Last edited:

sivasuthan

Apr 30, 2019

thank you for your input.

sivasuthan

Apr 30, 2019
The risk is if they get denied they will have difficulty entering Canada and many other countries. As mentioned if they do apply they are essentially stuck in Canada for likely a year but could be much longer if their asylum claim is denied as they attempt to try to gain status. Even if approved they will not be able to return to Sri Lanka for likely at least 5 years and only certain countries accept RTDs.
Thanks for the info. I want to keep them as long as they can stay with me .Is there any way i can get free or cheaper legal support on refugee claim ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the info. I want to keep them as long as they can stay with me .Is there any way i can get free or cheaper legal support on refugee claim ?
If they get denied they will struggle to ever visit you in Canada again. You need to consult a lawyer about their chances of being approved. If chances are not high this is an extremely stupid thing to do. They have options to visit you longterm like a supervisa.