+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED HELP AT LAST MOMENT crossing us to canada

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
I actually think a large number are arriving through the US because they were denied a Canadian TRV but we're able to get a US travel visa or already had one. They are not spending much time in the US. They seem to have quite a high approval rate. Goodale has already spoken with the US since some US embassies seem to be giving out US travel visas suspiciously easy. In general it is much harder to get a Canadian travel visa than one for the US.
I don't understand why Canada allows circumvention of the rules for illegal border crossers. This would be easy loophole to plug?

Arriving this way seems un-Canadian

Reactions: rish888

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The US would have to agree. At this point I am sure they are thrilled people are crossing to Canada so doubt they would agree to renegotiate.

Reactions: rish888

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
The US would have to agree. At this point I am sure they are thrilled people are crossing to Canada so doubt they would agree to renegotiate.
Interesting hadn't considered US agreement required. But this is only for illegal POE. They'd have to agree to take these back, and this couldn't be shoehorned into current safe third country agreement when crossing at official border point?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Interesting hadn't considered US agreement required. But this is only for illegal POE. They'd have to agree to take these back, and this couldn't be shoehorned into current safe third country agreement when crossing at official border point?
Yes at a legal POE people will not be let into Canada/returned to the US unless they have a family member in Canada.

R

rish888

I actually think a large number are arriving through the US because they were denied a Canadian TRV but we're able to get a US travel visa or already had one. They are not spending much time in the US. They seem to have quite a high approval rate. Goodale has already spoken with the US since some US embassies seem to be giving out US travel visas suspiciously easy. In general it is much harder to get a Canadian travel visa than one for the US.
I completely agree. One would think the U.S. would know better than to give a visa to someone who was already rejected by Canada. I still think regardless of the means of arrival those in need of refuge should be welcomed, whereas those testing their luck should be sent back and banned for life as a deterrent. For example this week I read about the numerous Haitians crossing into Canada after Trump's announcement, yet last I checked there is not war, terror, or persecution going on in Haiti. IMO people like them (except the select few whose individual situation may make them deserving) clog up the system and cost the taxpayers a ton on money. I believe Canada offers plenty of legal immigration routes that it is just utterly shameful for people perfectly safe in their home country to use an asylum claim as a way into the country.

R

rish888

and also I believe if someone is genuinely fleeing something horrible they should go the nearest safe country, not come all the way to Canada. Even in Syria there are still safe places in that region where Syrians could go. Those places may be uncomfortable, but are safe.

It's folks who commit idiotic acts like this that make travel difficult for the rest of us. I was in Europe this summer and my family and I encountered a serious issue with German immigration (Germany has suspended the Schengen agreement due to the crisis) because we didn't have our passports as we were taking a day trip from Austria.

It would be a shame if Canada needs to start fencing up the border, but with the way things are going now I think the only option is to become like Hungary.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No way Canada would fence the border. It's a huge border and people will find a way to get over it. Surveillance is done via electronic surveillance these days or using other technology.

Can't fault people from try to seek some stability and not go back to an impoverished country although it costs Canadian taxpayers a fortune to process claims and deport people. Unfortunately many of the Haitian people did not look up the asylum process in Canada and were misled via various forms of social media. Saw a video from a member of the Haitian community in the US spreading false information and asking for money to help people go to Canada. The rumour was that Canada was encouraging them to enter and they would be welcomed and allowed to stay. Many of the Haitian people arriving in Canada were surprised that this would be a lengthy process and they were going to be given a very small amount of money monthly. Some did know the risks but Haitians had been getting asylum around 50% so they figured their chances were better than the US.

R

rish888

No way Canada would fence the border. It's a huge border and people will find a way to get over it. Surveillance is done via electronic surveillance these days or using other technology.

Can't fault people from try to seek some stability and not go back to an impoverished country although it costs Canadian taxpayers a fortune to process claims and deport people. Unfortunately many of the Haitian people did not look up the asylum process in Canada and were misled via various forms of social media. Saw a video from a member of the Haitian community in the US spreading false information and asking for money to help people go to Canada. The rumour was that Canada was encouraging them to enter and they would be welcomed and allowed to stay. Many of the Haitian people arriving in Canada were surprised that this would be a lengthy process and they were going to be given a very small amount of money monthly. Some did know the risks but Haitians had been getting asylum around 50% so they figured their chances were better than the US.
I don't fault them and I quite dislike how a place of one's birth gets to determine their life an opportunities, but I think there are many people who know they don't meet the bar to be classified as a refugee yet still take the "try my luck" approach. It is the people who clog up the system that I dislike.

There are plenty of folks who come from impoverished countries but Canada offers plenty of opportunities for people who are willing put in a little effort to come to Canada legally and do things right.

R

rish888

The misinfo thing is a serious issue though. Canada is still globally perceived as, well, Canada...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The misinfo thing is a serious issue though. Canada is still globally perceived as, well, Canada...
Feel sad the a fellow community member would spread false information for their own gain and then the rumours seem to have taken off. I hope others will wait and see what happens to the Haitian people who have crossed from the US before they decide to cross themselves.

Canada is known as a welcoming country but in reality it isn't if you don't come in legally and you don't have grounds for asylum.

R

rish888

Feel sad the a fellow community member would spread false information for their own gain and then the rumours seem to have taken off. I hope others will wait and see what happens to the Haitian people who have crossed from the US before they decide to cross themselves.

Canada is known as a welcoming country but in reality it isn't if you don't come in legally and you don't have grounds for asylum.
Well there is the universal language green. (or monopoly money if you're Canadian.) Sorry.. couldn't help myself.

The MCI could start designating the people crossing as irregular arrivals. IMO that would be a serious deterrent.

futurekhan

Nov 23, 2017
Dear Sir CANUCK,
i am crossing from legel border to canada since i have my sister in law, but the proof i have is only his expire passport copy plus his canada pictures and me and his back home pictures. do you think it is enough to show as avidence please guide Thanks.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Your wife needs to be the one to claim asylum. You can’t claim family via your sister in law. They (CBSA/IRCC) will want to contact your wife’s sister and confirm the relationship. They won’t just take your word or pictures that the relationship is real. She will need family information like birth certificates that show the same parents.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I don't understand why Canada allows circumvention of the rules for illegal border crossers. This would be easy loophole to plug?

Arriving this way seems un-Canadian
It actually follows international humanitarian convention. It is so that people with a genuine need of refuge and protection don't fear further persecution/threat/etc. if their escape requires illegal entry into another country.

Unfortunately, people without genuine need take advantage of this.

Reactions: Buletruck

futurekhan

Nov 23, 2017
Dear Respected all members,

My Friend have told me if in future i got approved my Asylum case, even after ( PR or Citizenship) i cannot go back to my home land country where i have fear of life is that true ? I cannot even visit ? please do share your experience please.