+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need clarification on what will happen

hello86

Feb 20, 2017
Me and my wife applied for PR visas last year and got stamped and approved this January. In February there was a breakdown in the relationship and we filed for annulment. I know I should inform CIC before landing but I am concerned this would affect my PR status. I was the principal applicant and my wife only added 5 points due to her IELTS score. If I inform CIC will I need to start the application process again? or will the filling papers of annulment be enough?

dlre

Star Member
Aug 30, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you were not landed under a spousal sponsorship, there is no need to inform CIC on the breakdown of your relationship.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It doesn't matter that it's not sponsorship. An applicant must let the visa office know about changes in the family composition including getting married, reaching 12 months of living together in a common law partnership, getting divorced, getting an annulment, having a baby or a family member dying.

If you had added a family member, gotten married or had a baby, not telling immigration would be seen as misrepresentation and could cost you your PR if they were to find out as well as you would be barred from ever sponsoring that family member.

With an annulment, they may not find out so maybe nothing will happen but you are still committing misrepresentation. Maybe some years from now, you will get married to someone who is not PR and you may want to sponsor her. In that case, you would have to explain how your first marriage ended and when. If immigration finds out that you landed as a PR after having an annulment that would have taken 5 points off your score, your PR could be at risk.

However, if the annulment is as of yet only applied for and not through yet and you will land as a PR before it goes through, the risk would be minimal.

As for what will happen if you notify them, I really don't know. They will probably wait for the annulment to go through and then remove your (ex) wife from your application. Maybe they also want to recalculate your points at the same time.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront