+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice. Worked illegally for a few weeks.

philp2

Apr 12, 2018
I was on a two year working holiday and I applied for PR. A decision would not come through by the time my visa expired so I applied for a Bridging Open Work Permit. On the advice of my lawyer I applied via post. I paid my fees online but unbeknownst to me there were two different fees I had to pay, I only paid one. So my application was refused and I got a letter saying I could no longer work and no longer stay in Canada. But as I was living week by week I simply couldn't stop working. So I worked an extra 7 weeks so I could pay for flights home, get somebody to take me apartment, arrange somewhere to live back home etc.

After being home a few weeks I got my COPR and am flying back in a week. I am getting anxious over the fact I worked illegally for a weeks. And I am afraid I may be refused at the border. If asked should I be honest about working illegally, or pretend I stopped working when I received the letter?

Anybody have any idea what I should? Any help would be appreciated.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I was on a two year working holiday and I applied for PR. A decision would not come through by the time my visa expired so I applied for a Bridging Open Work Permit. On the advice of my lawyer I applied via post. I paid my fees online but unbeknownst to me there were two different fees I had to pay, I only paid one. So my application was refused and I got a letter saying I could no longer work and no longer stay in Canada. But as I was living week by week I simply couldn't stop working. So I worked an extra 7 weeks so I could pay for flights home, get somebody to take me apartment, arrange somewhere to live back home etc.

After being home a few weeks I got my COPR and am flying back in a week. I am getting anxious over the fact I worked illegally for a weeks. And I am afraid I may be refused at the border. If asked should I be honest about working illegally, or pretend I stopped working when I received the letter?

Anybody have any idea what I should? Any help would be appreciated.
You must be truthful on application and being asked verbally. Hiding the fact that you've worked illegally, is considered misrepresentation which can revoke your PR or Citizenship if CIC finds out in the future.

philp2

Apr 12, 2018
You must be truthful on application and being asked verbally. Hiding the fact that you've worked illegally, is considered misrepresentation which can revoke your PR or Citizenship if CIC finds out in the future.
I didn't lie in my application. My application was being processed at the time of me working illegally. My question here is what do I do when crossing the border if they ask.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I didn't lie in my application. My application was being processed at the time of me working illegally. My question here is what do I do when crossing the border if they ask.
IF CBSA asks you if you had ever worked illegally, then you must say yes. Its up to CBSA if they decides to deny your landing and inform CIC about this.