+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice on spouse sponsorship application proof items.

criveros

Star Member
Sep 27, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2017
I can't think of 3 documents to provide. We plan to apply as soon as we receive of marriage certificate, in one or two weeks.

We have tons and tons of pictures together and with both our families. I travelled to her home country and met her family. We have been living together since April, except for 2 months in which I visited in her country for 2 weeks.

I have been supporting both of us for the most part.

Can you guys shed some advice on what documents to provide?

• Joint ownership of residential property or joint residential leases or joint rental agreements listing both the sponsor and the principal
applicant; (Minimum 1 document).
We have none of this. I'm the leaseholder and she is not since she is a student and didn't have a job when she started living with me. I'm going to try to add her on the lease.

• Proof of joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone); (Minimum 1 document).
None of this. All accounts are under my name, cellphones account are separate.

• Important documents for you and your sponsor showing the same address, such as copies of Government issued identification
documents: driver's licenses, insurance policies, etc.
She uses her passport as main ID, and doesn't have a driver's license. We can provide pay stubs and her monthly bank balances showing the same address.

• Important documents for you or your sponsor showing that you are recognized as each other's spouse (such as employment or
insurance benefits). (Minimum 1 document).
Didn't add her to my life insurance policy, since she had insurance through her school. Will try to add her, though I dont think it will be possible until april 2017.

• Documentary evidence of financial support between your sponsor and yourself.
We are going to open a shared checking account. What else can we provide?

• Other proof that your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters, social media information showing a
public relationship, etc.)
We have lots and lots of pictures featuring our families and friends. I could get some relative write some letters.

Ski_is_fun

May 5, 2016
AOR Received.
03-05-2017
Med's Request
16-11-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
I'm in the same boat as you.

They have changed to wording from "same address" to "joint account". I don't know how much it was deliberate on their part to make more strict or if it's just lazy writing. For us we will send it "same address" with an explanation. Hope it will do.

CIC must realize that in 2016, more and more young couples choose to manage their finance separately. When we started to count our 12 months last year "same address" was acceptable, so we didn't merge any account.

criveros

Star Member
Sep 27, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2017
We started the process to add her to the condo lease today. And we are going to open a joint account.

Going to try and add her to my work insurance.

smallcoffee

Apr 4, 2018
Paris
I am trying to figure this out too. I am a Canadian citizen working in Paris but it's impossible to open joint bank accounts here because of my Canadian fiscal residency and my girlfriends Finnish tax residency.

The lease cannot be changed because she's not working (taking care of our baby). I added her name to the electricity bill. I also cannot get Canadian life insurance for a non resident.

We do have mail with her name or my daughter's name but nothing concrete with my girlfriends name and mine

Any ideas?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am trying to figure this out too. I am a Canadian citizen working in Paris but it's impossible to open joint bank accounts here because of my Canadian fiscal residency and my girlfriends Finnish tax residency.

The lease cannot be changed because she's not working (taking care of our baby). I added her name to the electricity bill. I also cannot get Canadian life insurance for a non resident.

We do have mail with her name or my daughter's name but nothing concrete with my girlfriends name and mine

Any ideas?
Individual mail in each of your names is fine; it doesn't need to have both names. Your own bank/credit card statements, payslips, employer letters, tax documents, driver's licenses, cell phone bills, documents regrading your daughter etc.

Reactions: canamconnect

canamconnect

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can't think of 3 documents to provide. We plan to apply as soon as we receive of marriage certificate, in one or two weeks.

We have tons and tons of pictures together and with both our families. I travelled to her home country and met her family. We have been living together since April, except for 2 months in which I visited in her country for 2 weeks.

I have been supporting both of us for the most part.

Can you guys shed some advice on what documents to provide?

• Joint ownership of residential property or joint residential leases or joint rental agreements listing both the sponsor and the principal
applicant; (Minimum 1 document).
We have none of this. I'm the leaseholder and she is not since she is a student and didn't have a job when she started living with me. I'm going to try to add her on the lease.

• Proof of joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone); (Minimum 1 document).
None of this. All accounts are under my name, cellphones account are separate.

• Important documents for you and your sponsor showing the same address, such as copies of Government issued identification
documents: driver's licenses, insurance policies, etc.
She uses her passport as main ID, and doesn't have a driver's license. We can provide pay stubs and her monthly bank balances showing the same address.

• Important documents for you or your sponsor showing that you are recognized as each other's spouse (such as employment or
insurance benefits). (Minimum 1 document).
Didn't add her to my life insurance policy, since she had insurance through her school. Will try to add her, though I dont think it will be possible until april 2017.

• Documentary evidence of financial support between your sponsor and yourself.
We are going to open a shared checking account. What else can we provide?

• Other proof that your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters, social media information showing a
public relationship, etc.)
We have lots and lots of pictures featuring our families and friends. I could get some relative write some letters.
Have her added to your lease, open that joint bank account and have her added to your medical benefits through work. If one of those cannot be done a letter from 1 person on each side of the family would cover it.