+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Identity Card issue IMM0008

May 28, 2023
I have a bit of an issue.

I am applying for a spousal visa to live with my wife in Canada. I am a Polish citizen living in the UK. The national identity document used in Poland is Dowod Osobisty, however, I moved out of the country when I was 15 and never got it (as you need to be 18 to apply for it). In most circumstances, the document used for my identity had been my passport, but I am not sure if I should provide my passport details(again) in the IMM0008 and attach a letter explaining the repetition, or whether I should click that I don't have the National Identity document and provide an explanation.

I am curious if anyone had similar issues and what would be the right course of action. I fear that if I click yes and provide passport details again it might cause an immediate rejection (regardless of the explanation).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Not all countries have a national identity card. Pretty sure those people are able to get into Canada just fine without getting their applications rejected. You can just write "not applicable" or something.

May 28, 2023
Not all countries have a national identity card. Pretty sure those people are able to get into Canada just fine without getting their applications rejected. You can just write "not applicable" or something.
That's the thing... Poland does have an identity card, but I haven't gotten it due to not being 18 when leaving the country.