+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Split on India Passport after getting PGWP

Taran20

Jun 27, 2024
Hello Everyone,

I complete my study in Canada & also received my PGWP. I also applied for my TRV after that. i just realized that I don't have a 'Surname' in my Indian passport, with the 'Given name' containing my full name. As a result of that, all my Canadian documents have my full name under my last name & I don't have a first name. I am thinking to split my name on the passport correctly but not sure whether my correct name will be updated on my PGWP or not as I have heard they only update the name on PGWP if the Canadian Officials made an error from their end.

1) Can someone please tell me if my splitted name will be updated on my PGWP with the new passport?
2) If not, will it be fine to have different names on passport & PGWP until I apply for PR later on?

Jasmohra

Jan 10, 2013
That happened to me. Did not have a surname in Indian pp and because Canadian authorities NEED a surname what they do is (it is on their website, that is how they do it) use your entire given name as your surname and leave the given name blank. With me, it was a messy situation cz health card system did not accept a blank given name, so they added a comma; medical insurance system did not accept a special character for any name so they split it. Another authority used a dot for my given name. I could never be tracked for my prescriptions in the medical system cz it did not match the insurance system.
Here's what I did-- I changed my name (split it) and got a passport in my new name. The burden to get it changed everywhere --Service Canada, CRA etc etc etc.. lies with you.

In your case, it may not change on PGWP but here is the thing, as long as you can produce an id with your old name and the leagl name change certificate, it should be fine. My name is still different in one of my certificates from IRCC but as long as I have that name chamge cert, it is all good. Start getting any further docs in your new name.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Taran20

Taran20

Jun 27, 2024
That happened to me. Did not have a surname in Indian pp and because Canadian authorities NEED a surname what they do is (it is on their website, that is how they do it) use your entire given name as your surname and leave the given name blank. With me, it was a messy situation cz health card system did not accept a blank given name, so they added a comma; medical insurance system did not accept a special character for any name so they split it. Another authority used a dot for my given name. I could never be tracked for my prescriptions in the medical system cz it did not match the insurance system.
Here's what I did-- I changed my name (split it) and got a passport in my new name. The burden to get it changed everywhere --Service Canada, CRA etc etc etc.. lies with you.

In your case, it may not change on PGWP but here is the thing, as long as you can produce an id with your old name and the leagl name change certificate, it should be fine. My name is still different in one of my certificates from IRCC but as long as I have that name chamge cert, it is all good. Start getting any further docs in your new name.

Hope that helps.
Thanks @Jasmohra for the reply. I am thinking to wait until PR as I can't get a name change certificate as a temporary resident (at least in British Columbia). I will update all the documents after that.