+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NAFTA Work Permit Help

KateVancity

Jan 21, 2016
Hello,

I am a US citizen, and I am a licensed CPA (California). I am currently residing in Vancouver, Canada under a closed work permit (expiring on Nov 2017). I obtained this work permit through my previous employment under NAFTA. I have since left the company, and I am not eligible to work for other companies because of my closed work permit. Someone suggested that I can contact any HR recruiter, and let them know I am qualify for a work permit under NAFTA. I would like to confirm the following:

1) Other than a job offer, supporting documents for citizenship, and professional credentials support, what other documents do I need to apply for a work permit under NAFTA?
2) How long does it take to process a work permit under NAFTA?
3) What are the costs associated with applying for a NAFTA work permit?
4) If I fail to apply for a new NAFTA work permit, would it invalidate my existing work permit (i.e. detained back to the US)?
5) Other than providing me with a job offer, is there anything else the employer needs to do to help me get my NAFTA work permit?
6) Is it possible to apply for a NAFTA work permit without the assistance of a lawyer?

Sorry for asking so many questions! If anyone know the answers for all or just one question, please feel free to share! Thank you very much! :D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I can't answer all of your questions - however I can tell you that the employer needs to put more work into it than just giving you a job offer. If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. It's certainly not as bad as an LMIA, but not as simple as a job offer.

Assuming you have all of the paperwork, you can go to a US/Canada landborder and flagpole to obtain the work permit.

There was a post here fairly recently that provide some information about what needs to be done. Have you tried searching the forum for the term NAFTA? You may find some good info that way.

KateVancity

Jan 21, 2016
Hey Scylia,

Ah I found the post now. I tried searching "NAFTA" earlier, and I must have overlooked.

I got my first work permit via NAFTA last year. Just wondering if I can just copy and paste all the materials, and reuse it to apply for a new one with a new employer. I mean I am working in the same industry. :p