+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My working and educational experience!!!!

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
Educational experience:

9 years primary / junior high (mandated by law)
3 years high school (got the high school certificate)
4 years BA (got the diploma and the transcript)
= 16 years

Now: I took an MA degree, and I don't know if I can count the credit hours. I am currently taking a phd program, not finished yet, but I completed the first two years, "full-time".

So the way I am calculating is:
9 years primary / junior high (mandated by law)
3 years high school (got the high school certificate)
4 years BA (got the diploma and the transcript)
0 years MA
2 years PhD (out of 3 years)
= 18 years

Can I claim 25 points, based on the fact that I do have a completed MA degree + 18 years of education, or can I only count the PhD years when I complete the PhD?

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
Leon said:
I work 40 hours a week and I know a lot of people who are required to work 44. I don't know anybody who works 37.5 hours. Maybe the CIC does, explains the backlog :)

By immigration, a full time job is 1950 hours a year but split into 40 hour weeks, that would be almost 49 weeks. Maybe they figure you had vacation for 2 or 3 weeks or you were sick a couple of times.
Leon, it could, of course, be incorrect, but this comes from the canadavisa.com website:

At a minimum, you must have one year of full-time (or the part-time equivalent) of continuous work experience in an occupation at a skill level recognized by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Part-time work experience is acceptable. It is assessed in proportion to a standard full-time working week of 37.5 hours. For example, a two-year part-time position requiring approximately 20 hours of work each week, will be counted as approximately one year of full-time experience.

I also assume they do not care too much about holidays. So if you live in France, with only 37 hours per week and 6 weeks vacations and only 37 hours per week, it's just as full time as if you live in canada, work 40 hours per week and have 2 weeks vacations :)

Oct 17, 2008
Oloye said:
Speedo,
Wolf33 just quoted them verbateem just take it like that read the cic web very well on that it is clear. Your three year part time coure from 2003-2006 cannot be same as 3 years full time course unless you want to say that the course is a full time course.

Oloye

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadavisa has broken the 1950 hours for the full time year by dividing into 52 weeks to get a 37.5 hour work week. CIC never mentions a 37.5 hour work week as far as I know. They just consider 1950 hours to be a full time job whether you worked 40 hour weeks and took 3 weeks off in the year or whether you worked a lot of overtime and took 6 weeks off or whether you actually worked 37.5 hours a week and took no time off.

If somebody was working 37 hour weeks and taking 6 weeks off in a year, he will not have 1950 hours in the year so strictly speaking under CIC, he should not give himself a 1 year experience for that. Say he worked 37 hrs. a week for 46 weeks, that is only 1702 hours so about 0.87 years. He would have to work another 6 to 7 weeks to fill the year. Still, I don't think CIC questions it too much if you were employed somewhere full time by your country standards. They also don't advise you to give yourself more experience if you worked more, say I work 2200 hours in a year, I don't give myself more than a year for it. The 1950 hours is just a guide to work out what you should get for part time work.