+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife going for study, can i go along on spouse visa and work?

stankmarsh

Apr 10, 2016
My spouse recently got admitted to University in Canada. I've lived in US in the past, I came to India for marriage and decided not to go back. We have decided to move to Canada. Her classes will start this September. Would it be possible for us to move to Canada together. Its a legit marriage. We've known each other since we were 4. Our parents work in the same office in defenses (India). So we have plenty of evidence.

Can anyone tell us how long it takes to get a spouse visa?

We went to a legit immigration counselor today and he said its usually 3-4 months after she gets her student visa. Also he said something about common law partner or spouse. I am guessing what he was trying to say is Spouses get it faster than your partners. Any advice would help.

Thanks in advance.

- Stan

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you out of status in the US? Or were you out of status in the US? If so, that's going to create problems for you incoming to Canada.

stankmarsh

Apr 10, 2016
I was thinking that I might have some issues but we checked with the authorities and all was well and my record was clean. So I thought of going ahead with the process.

stankmarsh

Apr 10, 2016
We came to know from an immigration counselor that there will be an FBI background check, for folks who have lived outside of India. So we checked with FBI and my records was clean.

Danny7072

Apr 19, 2019
Hello did you got visa to Canada I am in a same situation like you. Your reply will help me in getting through this. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey
What's yours status?
I am confused too. I want to take my husband with me to Canada
Spouses of international student are not guaranteed a TRV or SOWP but you can apply. SOWP is the better option. It usually takes 3-4 months but it is all dependent on the number of applications needing to be processed

Ocadpakistan

Apr 21, 2019
Spouses of international student are not guaranteed a TRV or SOWP but you can apply. SOWP is the better option. It usually takes 3-4 months but it is all dependent on the number of applications needing to be processed
Thank you for your reply.
What I am confused about is should we apply together or I should go first with my study permit and then try for SOWP
It's a two year Master's programme and it's really tough to live withwit spouse in a brand new place for such a long time.
I asked few consultants and they said chances are very low to get a visa if you apply together.
My father is sponsoring my education and I am also adding our family friend as a sponsor. They both will provide affidavit to fully support me throughout my education, also provide bank statements and property valuation of their business.
What would you suggest?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply.
What I am confused about is should we apply together or I should go first with my study permit and then try for SOWP
It's a two year Master's programme and it's really tough to live withwit spouse in a brand new place for such a long time.
I asked few consultants and they said chances are very low to get a visa if you apply together.
My father is sponsoring my education and I am also adding our family friend as a sponsor. They both will provide affidavit to fully support me throughout my education, also provide bank statements and property valuation of their business.
What would you suggest?
Would encourage doing the study permit first because it will be processed faster. If there is no chance you would study in Canada without your spouse you can apply together. Business accounts will not be able to be used for your financial guarantors. You should be using personal accounts. You also may run into problems having a friend as one of your guarantors. You'll have to wait and see. Every case is different so nobody can tell you if you will get approved for both study permit and SOWP.

Ocadpakistan

Apr 21, 2019
Would encourage doing the study permit first because it will be processed faster. If there is no chance you would study in Canada without your spouse you can apply together. Business accounts will not be able to be used for your financial guarantors. You should be using personal accounts. You also may run into problems having a friend as one of your guarantors. You'll have to wait and see. Every case is different so nobody can tell you if you will get approved for both study permit and SOWP.
Thank you for the reply.
Let me private message you details.