+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Unusual IEC Working Holiday Situation. Can I participate a second time?

plasticrhythm

Feb 8, 2015
I applied under the Canada IEC Working Holiday program for Ireland in May 2012 and received my welcome letter in July 2012. At that time Irish participants were only allowed to participate in IEC for a period of up to 12 months. My welcome letter was valid for one year from that date so when I came to Canada in June 2013, to my surprise, at the point of entry, the CBSA agent gave me a two year working holiday visa. From 2013, Irish applicants were allowed to participate in IEC for a period of up to 24 months, however my application and welcome letter were from 2012. As I applied in 2012, I believe I should have only been given a 12 month visa upon entering Canada, as per the rules in place at the time I applied.

My question is, will I be able to apply for another IEC visa up to 24 months? My original application would be classed under IEC 2012, prior to 2013 changes. IEC states “If you participated in IEC before 2013 for a period of up to 12 months, you are eligible for a second participation of up to 24 months in the category of your choice. Those who participated in IEC more than once before 2013 are no longer eligible to apply.”

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

plasticrhythm said:
I applied under the Canada IEC Working Holiday program for Ireland in May 2012 and received my welcome letter in July 2012. At that time Irish participants were only allowed to participate in IEC for a period of up to 12 months. My welcome letter was valid for one year from that date so when I came to Canada in June 2013, to my surprise, at the point of entry, the CBSA agent gave me a two year working holiday visa. From 2013, Irish applicants were allowed to participate in IEC for a period of up to 24 months, however my application and welcome letter were from 2012. As I applied in 2012, I believe I should have only been given a 12 month visa upon entering Canada, as per the rules in place at the time I applied.

My question is, will I be able to apply for another IEC visa up to 24 months? My original application would be classed under IEC 2012, prior to 2013 changes. IEC states “If you participated in IEC before 2013 for a period of up to 12 months, you are eligible for a second participation of up to 24 months in the category of your choice. Those who participated in IEC more than once before 2013 are no longer eligible to apply.”

Thanks!
1. Well you can apply but I think that you are going to be hooked by the phrase 2013 for a period of up to 12 months, You participated for more than 12 months, so there is a good chance you will be refused.
2. But you won't know until you try when IEC for Ireland opens.

plasticrhythm

Feb 8, 2015
Thanks PMM. I was thinking there might be a loop hole with that statement, it seems a little ambiguous as there is an assumption that any applicants prior to 2013 would only have received a 12 month visa.